Friday, May 28, 2004

The Aftermath

Sure, maybe it wasn't the exact sandwich I was going for. But it was close and, in my mind, a far more bold and manly sammie than I set out for. You see, they didn't have the cole slaw. Seriously, they had all of the other mayonaise-based salads. But to not have the king, cole slaw, the captain, the pillar of the mayonaise-based salad community. I mean how sexy is this old broad making slaw? Really, if you're going to have immitation crab legs salad or one of those carrot/raisin debacles, you better damn well make certain to have slaw. So, not looking to stray far from the cabbage, I turned to an old friend: Sauerkraut. It worked, though it didn't provide the creamy, cool counterpoint that slaw would have. But I think it did its cabbage cousin proud, adding a pickled brine element that cut through the horseradish. And the brisket, supple, not stringy. A tender beef if ever there was one. The bun was seeded, sesame-like, and soaked in juices, mushy. Topped it off with a Dr. Brown's Black Cherry. Suffice it to say, it's like a bar mitzvah celebration in my stomach right now. This'll be great when, in a few days, I'm sitting poolside, shirtless, and the party is still going strong.

So post-sandwich, I walk into seadog's and I says to him I says, "You're right. That is one hell of a sandwich." He said, "Oh you got it huh? I'm still not sure you're man enough for that." And I said, "Well if not, then you better come get it" and pointed to my gut. Then I hit him with the haymaker, "I had to go with kraut." He guffawed and then realized that this was a MORE manly sandwich. Epic, in fact. That shut him up right quick. "Fiedler drives the boat, chief!"

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Casbah said...

Oy, what's that shiksa doing at your bar mitzvah?

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger abby said...

If cole slaw is king, would it be fair to say that macaroni salad is the queen of the mayo-based salads? Macaroni salad seems so feminine to me...the delicate elbow noodles, the slippery mayo. Potato salad looks so husky and robust next to dear sweet macaroni, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home