Monday, June 21, 2004

Standing on Sullivan's Shoulders

So this should be my last post about Phish, I promise (until August, that is, and then that's really it). I can feel most of you rolling your eyes...and shame on you for judging me. Geeks unite.

Many days after work I'll come home and throw on a Phish disc or tape, listen to a few songs until the television treats me to a nice sporting event or primetime show. Sounds like I'm really cool, I know. But tonight featured one of the more surreal experiences I've ever taken part of: The popular rock band Phish stood atop the Ed Sullivan Theater marquee and rocked Manhattan for a solid half hour.

A crowd of 500 -- 1,000? 1,500? 2,000? who really knows -- packed Broadway between 53rd and 54th Streets to see the Boys record a song for David Letterman's show...and what a treat it turned out to be. They played Scents and Subtle Sounds twice, but then they started gettin' into the mix...they then played short yet crisp, clean versions of five favorites, an awesome little set for however many lucky fans were lucky enough to attend. Years from now 10,000 people will say they were there.

They hurried through 2001, then Trey hit the first chord of Wilson. The entire crowd chanted "Wilson," and no joke, it echoed all the way down Broadway. All the fuckin' way down Fuckin' Broadway, and that could really not have been cooler. Not a chance. Then the quickest Wilson ever went into Chalk Dust Torture, a Letterman favorite. And just when you thought they'd walk off the stage, the band cranks into Tweezer, followed awesomely by Tweezer Reprise. Coolest half hour I've spent in Manhattan in years. I know, sad, but again, awesome, and of course, suck it.

Anyway, here are the photos...I'm sure some even cooler ones will surface, but for now, this will do. Enjoy.

(And thanks to Adam Foley for the embedded photo...)

6 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reason number 4,637,598,403 why New York is the coolest city on the planet.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COWBOY,

THANKS FOR THE SHOUT OUT, I WISH I WAS THERE WITH YOU. I heard IT over my cell and IT rocked. Reason number 1,455,555,333 why PHISH should not stop! I mean, IT is mind bogling to me. Anyway, Happy Fucking Birthday! Thats right, IT is the COWBOYS 25th Birthday ladies and gents. SEE YOU SOON,

FLUFFHEAD

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you keep capitalizing IT?

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Seyeko said...

Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Ace. Happy Birthday to you.

Kings and Queens and Bishops too...

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

u look like a monkeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, and u smell like one toooooo, happy 25th ace

--Your personal Heckler

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Bart Starbux said...

Instance #8,974,331,445 that I've heard someone say NY is the coolest city on the planet. When people say that, are they fellating the city herself, or are they really hot-turtling themselves for being cool enough to live there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home