Friday, July 02, 2004

Pointless Drivel

Well, congratulations to Mr. Fiedler on his recent retirement from the world of paralegals. As Bunny Corcoran would say, "Enjoy your summer, old man."

Any plans for the summer? How 'bout heading off to Asia with Colin Powell and me for a rousing rendition of the Village People hit "YMCA"? Trust me, I just saw the footage of this Powell routine, and it's more off-the-charts hysterical than the "Fifteen Minutes of Shame" Family Guy episode.

Well, earlier today, Funnypants Mulgrew and I exchanged words over whether the Red Sawx should trade Nomar or play to win this year. Fiedler pulled a Billy Zane and called for a Blog-off, but that ain't gonna happen. I have neither the time nor the inclination to discuss New Englandish matters of importance on this very space. I say trade him, he says don't, I think I'm right, so does he. Case is closed. (They should trade him though, the guy's gonna walk at year's end and he's not even playing close to the level of the Nomar that won two batting titles in a row. Pokey Reese offers much more with the glove at short and the batting will be fine with Punk Manny and Papi Ortiz bashing like this.) OK, now the case is closed. I have exorcised the demons, this house is clear.

If we're talking sports though, let's chat about the possible move by Coach K to the Los Angeles Lakers (and I linked to SI.com and not ESPN because I don't want my boy Lukas to throw one of those Canadian Inferiority Complex Jealous Fits at me).

Say what you will about college coaches being terrible leaders in the professional ranks...I think Coach K has earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants. It's only natural to want to jump into the deep end after swimming in shallow territory all his life, isn't it? I was glad Steve Spurrier made the leap to the pros, and I couldn't care less that he flopped. Everyone knew he would flop, and he did. But at least he tried. At least he said, "My system is so dominant here, I might as well see if it works at the next level." I'm no video-gamer, but it's a lot like playing Madden at the second-highest level your whole life while winning games 222-0.

Don't you want to play the top, to strive for more? Now, having said that, I think Coach K would be a pretty bad NBA coach. This guy is as solid a recruiter as anyone in history, but he's not the best X's and O's guy in the business. As everyone knows, the best X's and O's guy in the business is Wink Martindale, the charming host of Tic Tac Dough (I mean, how scary was that fuckin' dragon?). For Coach K and the Lake Show, this would be a sad three years and punt situation. And the Lakers should know better.

Well, I'm off to get some grub, folks. Check ya later.

5 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

that link to colin powell has a pic that, if i didnt know any better, looks alot like crackhead bob, no??

and, it really bothers me that powells first name is pronounced like the body part or the very rarely used punctuation, rather than how one would pronounce colin quinns name

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Colin Quinn needs to fall into a hole and not come out. Guy has literally the worst delivery in all of comedy and yet he still manages to do allright. Colin Powell is actually funnier than that guy.

Best Colin = former NY Ranger coach Colin Campbell

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colin Hay gets no love from the Ace Cowboy? Ridiculous! He's playing in Dayton this month by the way, opening for...Journey. Journey with no Steve Perry. Yikes.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Oh man, I'm such an assface! Of course Colin Hay is the best Colin, I totally blew that one. I am so mad at myself for omitting the man who wrote "Who Could It Be Now?" and "Overkill." Thanks for the heads up, T-Tyler...

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

Colin the cokehead from 90210 is the best Colin around. He fucked up Miss Kelly Taylor and knocked her hoity toity ass off her high horse. That's m'boy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home