Thursday, August 26, 2004

Olympic Fever

Olympics update from Mitchell Verger Dartz III, our intrepid researcher in Athens right now. V. Dartz sent this communique earlier today, figured I'd share some excerpts:

-----------------
Met Rulon Gardner last night, coolest man alive with the exception of Peter Gammons and Trey when he's not on heroin.

I've now been to 8 events, gonna make it 9 tomorrow with diving...Yes, I'm going to diving, then afterwards I'm thinking about kicking my own ass.

Also walked by the Today show set on the way to work today...has anyone ever really noticed the things people do/say to get on television? City/State names being yelled everywhere, a lot of "We love you Matt"...someone even screamed "Katie has the best legs." That one made me laugh.

Speaking of laughs, I was sitting at the same dinner table last night with Jimmy Roberts and Jim Lampley...and have you guys heard Lampley laughing by any chance? Well, you might have, it seriously makes Janice's laugh from Friends seem diminutive -- just a rollicking, obnoxious guffaw...it's one of those laughs that makes you be like, "Yo, does this guy know how loud and annoying his laugh is?" And people call him "Lamps." Weird.
-----------------

Thanks midget, shocking report...the Lampley laugh joke coulda been a bit better, but I loved the diving paragraph, excellent stuff from overseas. V. Dartz is a great researcher I'm sure (I mean, I don't know that's true for sure), and he sent me this hilarious Op/Ed article from yesterday's New York Times, with a note that this isn't quite how it works, but still funny nonetheless.

And if you haven't seen the commercials, I thank George W. for making it possible for two more countries to have freedom and the ability to participate in these Games. Thanks Georgey. Makes it all seem worthwhile now.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

Am I unAmerican for not watching more than 10 minutes of these crappy ass Olympics? Summer olympics are just so boring.

Give me the Jamaican bobsled team anyday and I'll be as happy as a clam on Festivus!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Jamaica we have a bobsled team, we got the one Derice and the one Junior, big Yul Brennah and da mon Sanka.

"You never see the Swiss smiling neither. I bet if one of them ever came across a pretty girl he say Eins, Svie, Drie, and try to push her down some ice."

Am I the only one who cries every time I see that movie? I did NOT just admit that.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

Gammons stopped being cool when he started pimping for Maroon 5 or whatever band o'the moment he's pimping for these days. You get the feeling that if this were the late 70s, he's be writing all about John Cougar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home