Friday, October 29, 2004

Interesting Perspective

I liked the Sports Guy's column today...he basically just published a handful of e-mails from his faithful readers, Sawx fans and non-Sawx fans alike. It's pretty cool to read other people's perspectives on this whole celebration thing, and below I've excerpted my favorite e-mail, which I think is one of the most interesting takes I've read so far on the Series aftermath:

-----------------
Back in college, I had a friend who was also (as many friends are) a bitter rival. But when it came to girls, I always got the best of him. In fact, even though he was a good-looking guy, funny, etc -- he had never scored. Never had. Just had always had something thwart him. For years. There were a few notable times when we both went after the same girl, and he lost out, and I really rubbed his nose in it -- hey, we were friends and rivals and that was what we did to one another -- about Sega, about girls ... about life.

The point is this: it became something not really even funny anymore. He never scored with girls -- never. Not once. Virgin. It started to be almost a self-fulfilling prophecy that something would go wrong with whatever girl he was after. And meanwhile, my personal life was very active and fun -- and that made his suffering all the worse for him.

So I'll never forget this: One day, he called me. He had met some girl the night before, they went home together, and -- he'd done it. And he was just on top of the world. And then -- right then -- I was jealous. Why? Because of the girl -- no. Then why? Because think about it -- how excited you were for your first time -- you couldn't stop thinking about it or talking about it. It was as if nobody had ever had it so good before but you. But that feeling fades eventually. It had already by that time faded for me -- I'd already had girlfriends and flings and already had a history of my own.

The lesson as always -- friends don't let friends become Yankee fans. But it hadn't for him. It was brand new. He got to do it all for the first time -- revel in all that happiness and joy for the first time in a way that I never would be able to again. And for that moment, though he was only finally reaching where I'd been for quite some time, I wished I could have traded places. His joy about it was a joy I had felt once -- but only once. The joy of that first time. And he had waited so long and suffered so much to get there, that when he did -- it was all the more special.

And for that -- though we Yankee fans have done this quite a few times before -- I'm now jealous of you Sox fans. Because you now get to do it all -- the celebration, the champagne, the bond with a team that took you on the ride of your life -- for the first time. Feels good, doesn't it? No -- it feels GREAT. Just take it from us who have been there and done that -- try not to rub it in people's faces too much, lest people start to think you're spoiled brats.

-- Dave S., New York, N.Y.

10 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

Hey Ace- Good job w/ the link to that wrong-spelled blogpsot site- now it comes up as a default on my computer. Good news is that i think i'm getting saved!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Not my work...thank Mr. VergerDartz out west. That is hilarious though.

I've done very little work today obviously.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

how bout that bin laden tape huh, everything he puts out is gold jerry, gold

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Phiul said...

Nice email you posted there Ace. Reminds me of another favorite pastime - Phish. See 60 shows and you find yourself jealous of the 17-year-old runnin' around, trying to score Molly and bragging about how it's his 4th show (or in some cases, jealous of that college kid that just ate a handful of mushrooms and puked on his shoes at the UIC pavilion).

"Either way - I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to." Wait - sorry. All I'm saying is that I agree - you get jaded - with World Series championships and Phish shows (and in Jason Mulgrew's case - with masturbation, and cookies). Wish I could go back and relive the first 10 shows again over and over.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger abby said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger abby said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Hey Abby, I saw that first post! I can't believe you deleted it...Just because you were drunk doesn't mean you can rescind your drunken comments. I want an explanation, post-haste...

Hope everyone's Halloween was fannnntastic.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger abby said...

I meant what I said about liking the names "Ambiguously Gay Uno" and "Chipotle Bob", and I was all heart at the end when I added, "Vote Kerry!" but the "I'm in the air you breath" crap? That just had to go.

I'm sure you understand.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Abby, I hear ya...no harm, no foul.

Titsy, couldn't agree more about the Pheesh...to me, baseball and Phish have always been similar -- there's the sheer beauty of it all, which is what you're really there for, but then there's also the nostalgia factor, the numbers, the stats, the feelings, the unconditional love for the product (in my case at least).

Watching someone at their first show, lookin' around, eyes open, jaw to the floor, takin' in Kuroda's lights and Trey's gee-tar, eyeing Cactus as he bobs his Jew head, asking why the drummer wears a dress (I got nuthin' for Page)...it doesn't get much better than that. Virginity is Jealousy...

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Jason said...

Here's a good article that talks about why we love sports so much:

Why We Watch Sports – (And It’s Not What You Think)
Whether you want to believe it or not, we like to watch sports for very different reasons than you may think. In fact, the real things that cause us to like sports are in every person, whether we like sports or not. What things can we learn about human nature by simply looking at our fascination with competition? The answers may surprise you.

http://www.bestshowticketslasvegas.com/articles/why-we-watch-sports.asp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home