Thursday, October 21, 2004

What Now?

Wow. I figured if I don't post something now, maybe I never will.

The game has just ended and it's all over. My question to all of you is this: Has there ever been a more satisfying win for a fan base in the history of American sports? Think of all of the huge historical import of this win and it might make you puke. The curse, 86 years of losing to NY when it mattered, the whole Yankees mystique thing, the Red Sox as losers. Even my old ass grandfather has never known anything different b/t Boston and New York. And he worked out with triangular weights and had sex with President Wilson. And, of course, the way they did it: taking the pounding, then beat Mo', Ortiz, Ortiz, Stigmata Schilling and his bleeding Wonder Sock, A-rod's "Jm.J.Bullock" to Arroyo's glove, The N.Y.P.D. Police-Gals Chorus Line in the 9th Inning of Game 6, Hideki Matsui's impersonation of the Japanese Economic Bust of the mid-90's (Hai!) and a huge crap on Yankee Baseball as we knew it. I mean, for coupling history and drama, this absolutely CANNOT be beaten. Right? So this must be, basically, the best win ever for a specific fan base. I don't think anything matches it. Not even if the Sox won the series.

I think that the only thing I can say to Sawx fans now is, "Holy Shit, that was incredible for you. I'm really happy that the coolest possible thing that could have ever happened to you happened in the best most story-book fantastic B-movie way. I'm glad that all worked out for you. Let's play next year."

I'm pretty sure the only Sawx fan response to that would be like, "Well alright. Glad you see it my way. Um...yeah."

Who are the Yankees now? Certainly not the Yankees team I've watched over the last 10 years. No, instead, they're just the most bizarre team I've ever seen, without a soul or an identity that resembles anything in the glorious recent history of the franchise...oh, and guilty of the most remarkable collapse in the history of 7-game sports. Some said that the dynasty ended on the Luis Gonzalez bloop. I don't know. This just tore down a lot of built-up perceptions of Yankee baseball, Yankee lore, and Yankee invincibility. Anaheim and Florida didn't really do that.

Holy Shit, remember how cool Saturday night was? Wow. Remember Late Spring/Early Summer 1998? Awesome. Remember that time Rick Down gave me a handjob in the trainer's room? Chafing. It's all different now.

Hopefully, this whole cottage industry that has grown up around the curse and Red Sox Nation will cease to exist, really whether Boston beats the NL team or not. The whole Evil Empire/1918 thing just got a whole lot more stale. This series needs a lot less t-shirts and a lot more Orioles and Blue Jays. I hope things change a bit in terms of teams and competitiveness. I think it's time for the Torre/Yankees Era as we knew it to go and for something new to hatch. I think Stottlemeyer is gone and I think we need to re-examine the way we develop pitchers. I think someone needs to put together some theory as to how Arod, Sheff and Matsui can avoid these kinds of slumps. And dude, Ace and I are some dejected motherfuckers.

That much said, it's still 26-0 and that's pretty cool.

15 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

Well alright. Glad you see it my way. Um...yeah.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

I guess the Sox fans now know how good it feels to win and I feel the tremendous dejection and total not-hornyness that being a Sox fan must've felt like. That's probably a good thing. The Yankees and their fans, as Bronx Banter Alex wrote, "have a whole winter to take it in the kisser." And by kisser, I mean anus.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Just got back from the Stadium...rough scene up there.

Good work on the post, Donnie. Well said, well said, well said. Couldn't agree more. Except for the Rick Down handjob -- you gotta make him go down on that shit.

I'll post my reaction from a first-hand standpoint tomorrow. Nighty night.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger josh said...

up in boston here.. you should have seen fenway park after the game.. directly after that last pitch.. at midnight.. everybody in boston headed straight for the stadium and it was one of the most amazing sights that i will ever see.. besides the world series games to come.. such an amazing night

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

Oh, I cannot imagine how amazing this must be in Boston right now. I can't see much work going on there today. Enjoy it. And go fuck yourselves.

On the homefront, I may not watch SportsCenter or read a NY sports section for some time. Warm up the hot stove in a few weeks and, well, Let's Go Big Blue!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Bart Starbux said...

Donald, don't know if you saw Mike & Mike this morning, but they had some solid points. Remember those Yankee teams with role players who were winners? Nobody embodied this better than Brosius. And he got replaced by $8.7 trillion A-Rod who has only made teams better by leaving them.

Forgive me, Bullet, but bear with me. There is this band I used to listen to that had this admittedly crappy lead guitarist. Everybody knew he wasn't a big talent, but damn we had some fun with him. Then he died. So the band brings in this new guy who has all these credentials, etc, etc. And now I can't stand to listen to them. They've lost their guts. Even though their guts weren't very good to begin with.

A valid analogy? Of course not. Housey never went yard in the post season. But still...

Another question: At this point, is A-Rod a bust?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

Donnie, I didn't even realize that was your post until I read the comments. It's been a long time... Anyway, I'm not going to comment on the game last night. Just wanted to tell you that the A-Rod/Jim J. Bullock image in my mind caused me an involuntary guffaw in the Fordham computer lab right now, inviting unwelcome glances from fellow Rams here.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger misterlister said...

I think that the Yankee dynasty is obviously in jeopardy, and everybody knows that you can't keep on winning year after year without a little youth and some moustaches on your team. But what really needs to go first is that stupid freaking God Bless America crap the entire country is stuck watching every time there's a game at Yankee Stadium. I don't even think that guy's an American. What a load of cum-gobbling patriotism. It's baseball, for Chrissakes, not a Tom Delay fundraiser.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Bart, your analogy is pretty good actually...but your analysis on the role player thing is where I really agree. In fact, as I told Donnie at 1 am last night, that was going to be the subject of my post today. The era of Torre's Yanks, with Pauly and Brosius and Tino and even Leyritz and Girardi, that's all over. And it didn't really hit me until last night...

But it's tough to get my thoughts together today, I have so many things I want to say and no clear vision on how to get it out from my brain to my typing digits (am I, am I supposed to type with my penis?).

Hoobs, I also laughed pretty hysterically late last night upon reading the Jim J Bullock line. That Donnie is a clever little girl.

Lister, the DeLay fundraiser line was pretty clever as well...good stuff. Although using the words "cum-gobbling" doesn't fly here. We're a family blog.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger ethan said...

did you guys catch the shot of leyritz in the crowd last nite? oh man, what happened to him? he looked like he belonged in an MC Hammer videro. also, although i think his jacket had many team logos, the one over his right breast was a sox logo. not good times. where's wohlers.

ace, try typing with pretzels. that's what i'm doing.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Army Archerd said...

Not sure if this is as easy as the Ronan-Sloth lookalike, but damn John Henry looks, and sounds, like George McFly. It's actually starting to scare me. What if he got a hold of the sports almanac and bought the Sox knowing they were going to beat the Yankees?

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Bobby, that's a dynamite point right there...I think you may be onto something.

It's your cousin, Marvin.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Sox1918 said...

Booney Delooooch. Im ashamed to be a yanks fan today. Feeling phsyicaly ill.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

Thought about giving this one to Ace to post, but figure I'll just do it myself...

The video of Fidel Castro eating shit is the new video of that Grape Stompin bitch eating shit... Check this out- he broke his knee AND his arm!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6294511/

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

That guy just ate shit!

Down goes, Cas-tro, down goes Cas-tro...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home