Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Work Jones

First up, this is no good...I give you news hot off the presses. That's what I do.

Sorry Slackers, busy busy morning for ol' Ace...it's a tough pre-Halloween week of work, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I know Mulgrew's been a bit busy lately, so there's probably plenty of boredom in the air. If neither of our blogs get much goin' today, and you're still bored, try out this incredibly addictive time-wasting game. Damn, I wish that "Bash the Penguin" game were still around.

And if you're still bored, here are a few stories to read to kill some time:

1. Remind me to ask the IRS is this little tax deduction works in this country as well. If not, I may move to Australia. Throw another hypodermic on the barbie, mate...

2. You want a toe? I can get you a toe. Hell I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon. Apparently, this guy loves a hottie Japanese youngster so much he sacrificed a bit too much.

3. The British are coming, the British are coming. And they're beating the crap out of knife-wielding lunatics in Manhattan.

And finally, even though I hate his little guts and desperately want the Yankees NOT to sign him, I give it up for Pedro Martinez. Excellent game last night, definitely got himself a bit of free agent cash right there. I mean, when did everyone forget this guy was easily one of the best pitchers of all-time from 1997-2001? Seriously, this guy was unhittable, he was like no pitcher I've ever seen. Better than Randy, better than Rocket, better than Scott Kamieniecki. I've heard the comparisons to Bobby Gibson and JewNuts Koufax, but obviously I never saw those dudes pitch. Pedro would take the ball in the first inning, throw some serious gas, intimidate the hitters, and before you knew it the game was over. At 5'10, 160 pounds, he was a rampaging beast (You play football like Ed Generro played football...he was a 140-pound halfback, and he played like a goddamn wildman! No! He played like a goddamn rampaging beast!).

The reason I write this is simple: Johnny Pesky the other night said about Schilling "We haven't had this kind of starting pitcher here since Clemens." Announcers have also made idiotic statements purporting the same beliefs. Pedro is one of the few athletes I feel genuine hatred for, but I respect his game enough to say...Are these guys fucking kidding me? Sure he probably takes it in the pooper, and sure he looks like a combination of Darryl from Coming to America, Diana Ross and a ziploc bag of Hispanic pubes. But this guy was special. Watching him was special. I'd hate to see his legacy be forgotten because of Schilling and revisionist history.

Just check out his stats...just look at the years from 1997-2001, especially 1999. Unreal. Pedroni, you silly whore, I'll always want to rip off your face and push your mother down a flight of stairs. But much like the tech bubble, I'll always appreciate your late '90s dominance.

18 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

Ooh. Thanks for the trash can game. I'll never know why I threw out my Wolfpack mini hoops game.

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gypsy, i can't even look at you. no call. no letter. no farewell post. i thought what we had was special... obviously, you're just like all the others.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

Oh, come on. That's not fair. Isn't it better to go out mysteriously, albiet abruptly, as the skinny Elvis than fade away as the fat tired Elvis? Besides no one ever posted comments, so I felt like I was talking to myself.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Army Archerd said...

Damn that game is fun. Popke, show me the arm!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger ethan said...

excellent unneccessary roughness reference. i'd like to take a minute here and point out that the receiver who can't catch passes in that movie turns it around and becomes the psycho linebacker in "the program". has there ever been such an upgrade in the history of sports movies? it's like if bobbie from the natural wound up playing crash davis.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger ethan said...

(you know that bat boy didn't spell his name bobby...)

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you were only in it for the comments, is that it?

..all i'm saying is, you had readers. readers who depended on you. readers who were surprised and alarmed when your site suddenly became unavailable. was it the new boss? a family intervention? had the knitting club turned militant and shipped you off? sure, i have very little else going on, but does that make my panic any less real.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

I didn't know you cared anonymous posting person. That warms my heart. You're right, I felt dangerously close to getting caught and that's why I stopped. People (friends/relatives) were saying to me "you have a blog, don't you?" And my emphatic, "No. No, I don't." was becoming less and less convincing. But I'm bored witless at home, so I'm starting a new one next week.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

u had me at hello gypsy

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger abby said...

The other day I was driving somewhere, listening to Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" when all of a sudden I started singing, "Goodbye Gypsy Rose...though I never knew you at all...you had the grace to hold yourself..." Then I realized that I was a pathetic loser and stopped myself from trying to think of new "Gypsy Rose" lyrics to that song, because that was a real pathetic loser-ish thing to do, all alone in my car.

Let me just say though, your blog burned out long before your legend ever did, Gypsy. Long before your legend ever did.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

Oh Abby. You came and you gave without taking. But I sent you away. Oh Abby........

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Hey Gypsy, big surprise by the way, I fished your NC hoop out of the garbage...no joke. I still have it here, any time you want to pick it up, you know where I am. Hope that warms your day and makes you start up blog part deux.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

You save my Wolfpack thingeee!!! You rock!!! That makes my day!! By the way, sorry to bogart your comments section. I've been on your blog all day long.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger More Cowbell said...

The guy who played Alvin Mack was also one of the dead football players in Beetlejuice. I IMDB'ed him, and he is actually listed as "Very Dumb Football Player." Double wing! Double wing!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Double Wing, Double Wing is the name of my fantasy football team...Don't throw it to Stonehands!

Gypsy, I even saved the little nerf ball that goes with it. I rooted through trash for you. yes, I rooted through trash for you.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a new gypsy blog: best news i've heard all day. that and the promise of hypoallergenic cats by '07. both very, very good news.

is anybody besides me still reading these comments?

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Hypoallergenic cats by 2007? That rocks! Is that true?

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
» »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home