Friday, November 05, 2004

Brooklyn: The Craps

Ol' Don took Irene to Broadway yesterday to see the steaming pile of plotline poo that is "Brooklyn: The Musical." Great singing. I mean fantastic. Problem was that the writer obviously is the cheesiest person in the world. (Even more than Piven!) An orphaned girl from France, named Brooklyn after the homeland of her long lost father, comes to America as a pop-star to find her dad by singing a lullaby he sang to her mother that he never finished. The mom hung herself after never receiving a note from the dad (who was killing entire villages in Vietnam with Loser Kerry) b/c evil French grampa was confiscating the letters. Anyway, the girl gets to Brooklyn and, while preparing for a winner take all sing-off at MSG with a true Brooklyn native, Paradice, finds the dad shooting heroin. Then, Paradice inexplicably wins after Brooklyn sings with a smelly homeless man names StreetSinger. Brooklyn looks set to leave and then finds her dad at the bus station. I'm hyperventilating. Seriously. I can't do musicals ever again. I was squeezing Irene's hand really hard to keep from exploding all over the theater in derisive laughter.

I'm listening to Strangefolk right now. They were a cool band.

8 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Nothing to do with their musical ability, but Strangefolk encoring with the "Juicy Fruit" theme song was one of the cooler things I've heard a band do...

Well, Umphrey's McGee definitely one-upped that on Halloween of this year -- they played a special Halloween mini-set, that looked something like this:

Rock and Roll Part II (Gary Glitter) > The Way You Make Me Feel > Smooth Criminal jam > Thriller jam (Michael Jackson) > Cat Scratch Fever (Ted Nugent) > I Believe I Can Fly (R Kelly) > Whole Lotta Shaking Going On (Jerry Lee Lewis) > I Can't Explain > Baba O'Riley (The Who) > Mike's Song tease (Phish)

Notice the tie that binds? All songs by supposed or onvicted pedophiles...I mean, people are outraged that they would do that, I think it's one of the funniest things of all time...

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger ahren said...

strangefolk was indeed a good band. i'm pissed they split up and now are 2 average bands... UM cracks me up. i'm hoping for some similarly outlandish shenanigans in amsterdame, come march.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Is that the Amsterjam thing? Nice, you goin to that? I thought about it, just for kicks, but not sure how much cash that might set me back...

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

I was about to ask Donnie if he had seen Genauer's band. I've heard mixed reviews. Pretty mediocre, eh Ahren?

But Umphrey's, those guys rock the house. My only knock on them is that they get too cute with the setlists and segues sometimes. Sure, it's cool that they make their fans pay attention but I think they get a little carried away sometimes, often at the expense of the jam. And really folks, it's all about the jam.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

TJ, you're a father, does that UM set offend you? The majority of folks who were blasting it were parents. I kinda feel like that's just good humor, they're not honoring the guys with trophies or whatever...

It's always all about the jam, but it's not always about dark, heroin-induced, post-hiatus ambient jamming! If the Boys could have played all their post-hiatus gigs with the energy of those Cincy shows we saw together, TJ, the world would be a better place. Or at least Phish message boards would be a better place...

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

Personally I think it's funny. It's not like their promoting NAMBLA or anything.

I maintain that if Trey hadnt fallen in love with heroin and ruined Phish, W wouldve lost the election.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger ahren said...

yeah, amsterjam... it worked out well for me because my buddy is getting married in italy the weekend after, so i was able to make it dual purpose trip (no pun intended).

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad. I promise to start referring to Umphrey's now as a brutally bad jamband ... with a good sense of humor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home