Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Mas Futbol Americano

Three football posts in one day...yikes. Apologies to the one feminine unit who reads this blog.

Well, the point of this post is simple: Finally (and maybe this has been around, but a first for mine eyes), someone's done the impressive job of releasing a comprehensive salary database that shows you just how overpaid those star wide receivers are...check it out for yourselves. Play around, children, it's even easy to use!

But on another note, has there been a more valuable member to his team than San Diego tight end Antonio Gates? I'd argue that this guy is having more of an MVP season than anyone out there. This guy is off the charts this season. We need new charts. The second-year tight end out of Kent State has caught five touchdowns over the past two weeks, eight total on the season. Going into the bye week, Gates has 54 catches for 602 yards, and 38 of those receptions have gone for first downs. This guy is a beast, and he's reason number one the San Diego Super Chargers are atop the AFC West standings.

A few weeks ago, I was wondering where in the shit this guy came from, and then I realized exactly where I knew his name from: an article I wrote two and a half years ago. In my preview of the 2002 NCAA Tournament, I mentioned Gates as a big reason the 10-seeded Kent State Golden Flashes would upset two big opponents and dance among the final 16 teams. This is what I wrote on 3/12/02 for my old college magazine about who the next Cinderella team would be:

"Mark Few's Zags should be fuming after receiving a six seed; regardless, they've won too often in March to ever wear Cinderella's slipper again. So it's time to pick the next sleeper squad to make more waves than a Shawn Kemp cannonball. This year, look out for the Kent State Golden Flashes out of the 10-spot in the South to take down No. 7 Oklahoma State and No. 2 Alabama.

Led by senior guard Trevor Huffman and sophomore Antonio Gates, Kent State posted a 27-5 record, captured the Mid-American Conference title, and showed Flashes of brilliance in last year's tourney victory over Indiana. Along with No. 12 Tulsa and No. 10 Pepperdine, look for Kent State to be dancing in the Sweet Sixteen. (Also, look for Deshawn Stevenson and R. Kelly to be dancing at a Sweet Sixteen, looking for cutie high school chicks to deflower.) "

OK, I must admit, I suck at predictions. I really do. But somehow I was dead-on-balls accurate about that Kent State prophecy (and also about Maryland winning the whole thing by the way). Kent State beat both teams I thought they would, and bested me by one, making it to the Elite Eight before losing to eventual runner-up Indiana. Based on this historical performance, I will forever be a fan of Antonio Gates, as he made me look good in public. And we're now linked together in history -- for good measure, if you type "Antonio Gates 2002 NCAA Tournament" into Google, my old article is the first link up there...that makes him the Ace Cowboy's favorite player in the NFL not named Chad Sexington or Jonathan Vilma. We love Gates, we love Gates!

I realize this whole post is a bit self-aggrandizing, but take it more as profession of love for an athlete I couldn't even pick out of a lineup than a boasting of my uncanny talent for accuracy in augury.

So in a sign of good faith, here's another football-related note from EB down in Miami...apparently Randy Walker pumped up the Wildcats with a little Griffin family magic:

---------
So, how did Northwestern break its road game slump at Penn State this weekend? A little "Family Guy" maybe?

"It was an animated thing," coach Randy Walker said at his weekly Monday Press conference. "A bunch of...Family Guy? Family Man? It was a cartoon on Fox. I'd never seen it and it was pretty good."

Running back Noah Herron enjoyed the selection, calling it "quite hilarious," but didn't think the choice of the weekly Friday night movie made any difference.

<>"The coaches try to overanalyze it and break that down," said Herron, who also said he felt no lingering effects from his first quarter collision on Saturday. "If we don't have our heads together the next day, it doesn't matter what we watch on the movie screen."
---------

Are we, are we supposed to beat Michigan with our penises?

6 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger stephie said...

First time visitor and I had to say, let's not forget about Oklahoma Sooner true freshman Adrian Peterson who has nine straight 100+ yards for the NCAA record. And he's fresh out of high school. (Big OU fan, can you tell?) But seriously, this kid is going to be in serious running for the Heisman.

I guess now you'll have two female readers!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I really like Peterson, but I don't think he's the best player in college football...I don't even think he's the best running back in college football (Cedric Benson gets my vote). Peterson's a beast, a genuine talent and a force to be reckoned with, but my Heisman vote right now goes to...Northwestern quarterback Brett Basanez.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger stephie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger stephie said...

Oops, sorry about that last post, major mess up and only way to correct is start over! lol

I really like Cedric Benson, but I'm keeping my eye on what Peterson can learn this season. He might not win the Heisman but he's definitely breaking records.

Haven't heard of the Northwestern quarterback but will keep my eyes and ears open and let you know what I think (oh, yeah, like that matters!lol)

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

That was a joke, Stephie, no Northwestern player will ever contend for any hardware (outside of Damien Anderson's wonderful 2000 campaign when he could have won the Doak Walker Award). But we are 4-2 in the Big Ten, and that's Kool and the Gang...

Peterson is legit, and he's only gonna get better. But he's not my Heisman winner this year. Still not sure who it would be actually, my vote can still be bought by boosters.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger stephie said...

Well, I always try to be diplomatic unless I'm really pissed off then God help us all!!! lol

Seriously, I doubt A.D. will win the Heisman this year but since Jason White won last year (even with his knees) I can only hope, right? Yeah, I'm a great big flaming Sooner fan (which kinda hurts when you live in the middle literally of Razorback country).

I try to keep up with the other teams and players this year, but I swear it's like every OU game leaves me exhausted so I have absolutely no interest in even the NFL. Not even my (okay shoot me) beloved Cowboys (even though Vinny Testeverde and I have a history going back to his days at Miami even though he doesn't know it). Their problems are more than I have time to name. That's for another day! Not to mention my mother's beloved Dolphins.

I can't always be statistically correct but you won't can't ever say I don't love football.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home