Wednesday, December 08, 2004

My Eyes and Ears

Gonna be a busy day for yours truly...I desperately wanted to call in sick, can't believe I actually made it in. Drunken times with the family at a marathon dinner last night doesn't necessarily make for a good morning.

So here are three entertainment-related items I've been watching or listening to lately that I highly recommend (and in some cases, again):

1. Drawn Together -- Donnie recommended Comedy Central's new animated reality show to me a few weeks ago, and I haven't missed an episode since. For those of you with TiVo or those who may be home tonight at 10:30, do it. Highlight of last week's episode: After Captain Hero bangs Princess Clara's retarded cousin Duh, they wake up in bed together the next day. Princess Clara bursts in, sees the pair entwined and orders her slow cousin to go back to her room. As she runs back to the room, Spanky Ham (played by Adam Corolla) is overheard yelling in the background "Ooooh, looks like someone's doing the limp of shame." Simply classic.

2. The Name of This Band is Talking Heads -- I mentioned this in a post a few months ago, but I must do it again. I'm still obsessed with this album, months after purchasing it. And that never happens. Basically, if you don't have this 33-song live album, you're really missing out. David Byrne and the rest of the band are at their absolute best in this compilation, especially on the first disc from the late 1970s. Get it, check out New Feeling > Clean Break and Who Is It? > The Book I Read and tell me these guys aren't fucking insane musicians. And those are just four songs...trust me, they're all incredible.

3. Talkin' Blues -- A Hoobs Special, this was probably the most listened to disc in our room (Cloud City) throughout junior year. After putting it down for awhile, I picked it up again and haven't been able to put it down again. To me (and Hoobs and others), this is Marley at his finest, a sound unlike much of the music on Legend or any of his other works. A strong recommendation, especially for Walk the Proud Land and You Can't Blame the Youth, two songs prominently featured on WNUR's Block Party radio show (hey, we had a few listeners, including a nice old lady who recommended "Fire" by the Ohio Players).

Also, here's a funny little article about the real-life Slater, Pink and Wooderson taking on Richard Linklater 11 years after the fact...screw these guys, lookin' for a quick buck. Eat shit, real life dudes that I loved on screen. You're ruining my perception of Dazed and Confused. Stop it.

And lastly, a hearty welcome to the Yankees goes to Jaret Wright and Officer Tony Womack. Womack is a great signing, nothing bad about that. Wright can go either way...I'm gonna take the optimistic route on this one and say maybe he found something last year that he can keep going in the Bronx. I just hope he doesn't need any coaching, because what he got in Leo Mazzone he will certainly not find in Melly Mel Stotts. But I'm going to be half-full here and say I like it. I like it a lot. Well, that was more of an online Lloyd Christmas impersonation, I don't actually like it "a lot." I like it a little.

6 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger hoobs said...

not much better than talkin' blues. your reminscence of this album, ace, has reminded me of how long it's been since i've listened to it the whole way through. one of the best parts are the interview snippets of marley, in which he is apparently speaking in english. i have no idea what he is saying, except for an "irey" here and a "bombaclot" there. endless humor for me in that. with the ipod i never get those snippets anymore. such is life. i still don't know who the pirate hawkins is.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger ethan said...

dude, im terrified of the womack signing (good thing it's only $2mil/year):

-he's an NL lifer. can he adjust to AL pitchers, etc in the twilight of his career?
-he pretty much sucks as an offensive player. im hoping last year wasn't an aberration (sp?) but all signs point towards that being the case.
-all those steals sound great, but he'll score on homers whether he's on first or second. problem is, that vicious .319 career OBP probably projects future performance more than last year's career season, so he gets on less than shane spencer.
-in any season in which he played more than 17 games, he has NEVER put up a SLG over .400. that's just embarrasing. i know, i know, they don't need more power. but still. that's gross, especially when you've averaged less than 20 steals/year over the past 2 seasons.
-he has less range than cairo (4.94 RF to 3.97).

on the plus side, he may be able to enter the game late a la dave roberts and swipe a bag once and a while (even though he's not even remotely as good a base stealer as roberts at this point in his career).

i liked cairo way more. i thought you were into mikey egypt too. either way, i can't believe they're not even going to try andy phillips in the infield somewhere.

on the wright front, i like it. i don't expect 3.28 every year, but if he can go 180 innings and put up 4.00, he's worth $7mil/year for this club.

i've only seen commercials for drawn together, but now will definitely be checking it out (great arrested d the other nite, no?)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Hoobs, glad I sparked something for ya...I want a 10-page report on the Pirate Hawkins and the Pirate Morgan on my desk by the end of the week.

Ethan, good numbers on Womack...I love stats, but I'm not buying into the "he sucks" argument just yet. He was a big part of that St. Loo offense, so maybe he can be a catalyst for us too. I agree though, an NL-lifer in the AL could be trouble.

Arrested D was very funny, kills the Simpsons week in and week out, but it was probably the worst episode of the young season. I guess that's the sign of a good show, that the worst episode of the season is still funnier than 99 percent of the schlock on TV.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger ahren said...

whoah! you still purchase albums?

but yeah-- that's a great one. i've been on a TH kick ever since i got that email from you awhile back. they really are great. plus they just have a song called "drugs"

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Purchase, no...iTunes, yes. That TH disc is just amazing, glad you're into it. And Drugs: great tune, great name.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for my money, better than "the limp of shame" was "nail her in the stink tube"....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home