Monday, January 31, 2005

Fallen

I have no idea why I'm posting this, but I think the falls of our heroes are newsworthy (hence the popular success of shows like Behind the Music). I'm not saying that David Duval is my personal hero or anything, but a few short years ago this guy was considered the second greatest golfer in the world behind that weird black-lookin' dude with big teeth and the Chinaman mother.

And now, well, not so much. Here are some of the more staggering numbers from Duval's week, via ESPN's "Weekly 18":

--His four-round total of 318 was 20 strokes worse than any other competitor. The second-highest score belonged to Lanny Wadkins, a 55-year-old TV announcer who hasn't even won on the Champions Tour in five years.

--His opening-round 82 was disappointing in itself, but shocking when you consider that it took place on PGA West, the very same course on which he shot 59 six years earlier.

--His third-round 85 included a back-nine 49 at tame Tamarisk CC. Duval made four triple-bogeys from holes 10 through 16.

--He averaged 28.5 putts per round and made only 48.6 greens in regulation, but the most startling statistic was his driving accuracy: He drove the ball into the fairway a mere 34.5 percent of the time.

5 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I read that article and feel really bad for that guy. It's sickenening to think that in +/- three years he's going to be the head instructor at a driving range in some retirement community in Florida.

In his prime, he averaged over $2 million in prize money for 5 years, and hit $3. million in 1999. This year he has made $0 (even though it's only January), but make $120k last year and only $85k the year before. It's not like he isn't set for life and still raking in endorsements (even though I am sure those have waned as well), but mentally and emotionally he must be a wreck. Even though, comparatively speaking, $85k is a still a pretty decent income, going to from making $800k the year before to that would cause anyone to lose it.

I can picture his house now, with posters and pictures of Eldrick plastered all over the place, eyes cut out, devil horns drawn on, and bullet holes in others.

He's almost like the Ray Finkle of the PGA.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Well said, Matty...this guy could fully commit suicide in the next 12 months and I wouldn't be shocked.

The funny thing to me is, this guy is like 20 shots worse than he was a few years ago, and yet he still puts up a better round than 98% of the world.

Still, this collapse is just crazy. Chuck Knoblauch is rolling over in his grave...

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Also, to add to the reasons to commit suicide, I think Duval should ignore the fact that the likes of Maury Povich, Mike Eruzione (fellow hometowner), Vinnie Del Negro and Cheech Marin all played better than he did during the Bob Hope Classic.

The over/under on a murder/suicide rampage is 13 months, pending the results of the next few tournaments. I say if he at least makes the cut in 20% of the tourneys he enters this year, it will be longer than 13 months.

And, Ace, you make a good point in stating that his worst day is better than most people's best. But I say that if you are getting paid to do something, you better be damn good at it. His worst round was an 85, 4 strokes better than my best ever, and something that will take me years of consistent golf to get to. But shit, I didn;t get paid to shoot that, I PAID close to $100 (drinks and balls included) to play that day. Every time he wears those ugly-ass Oakleys he gets paid.

I guess my point is, he has to look at it in perspective before he decides to mow down a school bus full of children.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger John Howard said...

How do you go from so good to so bad so quickly? That just doesn't make any sense. At least Ryan Leaf had the excuse that he was making the transition from college to the NFL.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I don't know, John, but it is somewhat unbelievable -- I mean, look at Steve Sax or Chuck Knobluach or Steve Blass or Rick Ankiel.

Although I think Duval's struggles are a lot more physical (back issues, then vertigo!) than any of those other guys...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home