Thursday, January 06, 2005

Jay-z's Dead

About a year ago an underground DJ named Danger Mouse made headlines by mixing the Beatle's White Album with Jay-Z's Black Album, creating the wickedly popular Grey Album.

Danger Mouse's cleverly titled album predictably caused the record companies' lawyers to do, what you all think they're gonna do, which is just flip out, and three cease-and-desist letters found their way to to the DJ's mailbox. A illegal downloading controversy was born.

Get ready Spinjunkies, because I'm sure you're about to embark on another round of ridiculousness. The Spinjunkies, a group of folks I've never heard of and will most likely forget about in three days, recently turned this mutha out, laying Jay-Z's vocals over the music of the Grateful Dead to create "Jay-Z's Dead." And while I've only listened to a few tracks, I think it's pretty cool shit.

I highly recommend 99 Problems/Scarlet Begonias and What More Can I Say/Shakedown Street, but feel free to check out the rest.

(And courtesy of Slack loyalist and resident heckler poophop, here's a pretty cool mix of the Beatles and the Beastie Boys).

Three unrelated notes:

1. There's something about a rainy day in January that begs for Kind of Blue. If you got it, and it's raining where you are, give it a listen some time today...

2. Last night I Awakenings-ed the shit out of a batch of paper plates flying through the air. Jeremy slingshotted the plates about 12 feet from his kitchenette to the living room, when they appeared to be headed straight for the four oversized wine glasses sitting on the table. Reclining with my left arm behind my head in a spastic, contorted position, I realized our predicament and mindlessly reached out my right hand without even taking my eyes off the television. The result: a damn good catch. The Ambiguously Gay Uno and Evan bore witness, and I hope they were as impressed as I was at my uncorrupted motor skills.

3. This makes no sense.

7 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger ethan said...

i haven't listened to the spin munkies yet, but im down with this wave of mixing/sampling. it would be a shame if some legalese stuff made it go away. there's gotta be a way for all sides to win, no? isn't the writer formerly known as donnie into law or something?

nice catch of the plates. hopefully you followed it up by drinking everyone's wine just to keep it safe.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Agreed on the d/loading thing...Donnie is an amateur lawman, but there's gotta be someone here in cyberland that knows what the deal is with this. I saw they have a disclaimer on the bottom of those tracks, like "buy their albums" or something. I also enjoy the sampling.

I was seriously impressed with my plates catch, but that did not grant me permission to steal the wine of others. Nonetheless, I left a little wine-buzzed, which is nice for a weeknight.

I love using proper nouns as verbs, nothing like it. My favorite linguistic pasttime.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

heres another site, but with the beastie boys and the beatles, pretty cool, have a listen

http://halley.lunarpages.com/~djbc002/beastles/

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Thanks poophop, as you can see I included the link in the original post...great stuff.

Trouble Tripper is the bees knees.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Um, that should read Tripper Trouble, not Trouble Tripper. Sorry, had a little bout of pre-Scientology Tom Cruise dyslexia there...

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace,

Great Stuff.. I have heard some of it before. We need to get together and trade ipods.... Much love

Fluffdead

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Good stuff, Fluffdead...you got it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home