Friday, January 21, 2005

Quick-Pick Snack Pack III

Sunday in the snow, referees whistle blow...That's right, the forecast calls for more white powder than Charlie Sheen's bachelor party. Too easy? Okay, how about the forecast calls for more white powder than Tom Daschle's and Tom Brokaw's offices circa October 2001? Nothing like a little snow to throw the Vegas odds up for grabs and make the pundits' opinions completely obsolete. It's gonna be a good weekend of football.

Some people call me the Ace Cowboy, some call me Acey the Greek, some people call me awesoooome...I could go on for another verse or two, but I think I've made my point: It's been quite a run for your ol' pal A.C. this year, ripping off a 7-1 record in the playoffs after an incredible regular season. Basically, I'm a thousand times more awesomer than you, so bet the way I tell you to and shut it.

Since I've been fucking around all day long with the boss gone, I have to jam on some work...so here are my first impressions and the picks I'm choo-choo-choosing:

Falcons (+5) over EAGLES -- sorry, Mulgrew
Everyone thinks the cold, rain and snow is going to hurt the dome team, but I couldn't disagree more. I could try, but I would not be successful.

A frigid game in the slush puts the ball on the ground, and I personally think the Falcons have the better rushing attack and the better rushing defense. The Eagles have Westbrook and the occasional run from McNabb, but I'd take the three-headed monster of Vick, Dunn and Duckett any day of the week and, especially, on this Sunday. Philly's front seven are definitely better since the re-emergence of Jeremiah Trotter (not to be confused with District Attorney Trotter from My Cousin Vinny), but I've been more impressed by this Atlanta defense, guys like Brooking, Kerney and Coleman.

Throw in the fact that the entire Falcons coaching staff looks like they're all brothers or cousins, and that's enough for me to think Philly's faithful are in for a rough Sunday night and Monday morning...

Final score: Falcons 21, Eagles 16

Patriots (-2.5) over STEELERS
I used to hate the Patriots a lot. Like really a lot. But now I'm at the point where I can't help but marvel at the job Belichick's done with this team. And to think, every Jets fan under the sun applauded like crazy when he abruptly resigned, thinking he'd be the same ol' awful coach he was in Cleveland, and anyone who tells you different is talking revisionist history. Look at the way this team plays, they're fuckin' unbelievable. They buy into the system, they want it more than anyone else and they deserve to be cocky, yet they remain humble and goal-oriented. As far as I see it, this team just cannot be beaten. I feel better after saying that (and yes, I'm hoping that by admitting this, they'll stop being so good).

The Stillers, though...hell, the Jets beat these fuckers a week ago. And if Billy B & Co. can make Peyton look like Eli, I think he's going to devise a scheme to beat the crap out of Pittsburgh's favorite rookie. Sure, most of the Steelers offense is going to come from Duce and the Bus (how come more people aren't talking about how little action Duce saw last week?), but it's not like the Pats are weak against the run either. These fuckers have more starting linebackers than, um, some team with a ton of starting linebackers. Plaxico, Ward and Randle-El are all solid, but I don't trust Big Ben to be able to hit 'em in stride to take advantage of NE's weak secondary.

I don't know, I just don't even see this being a game. After the coin flip, I think it's over.

Final score: Pats 27, Steelers 13

Enjoy the last weekend of multiple games, and remember to stock up on some food before the storm. Ah, NYC, no shoveling and no driving...as some 50-year-old dude kept saying to Verger Dartz, Lukas and me after the Phish show in Atlanta while huffing tons of nitrous: "Gotta love it! Gotta love it!"

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I have tears in my eyes right now. No, it's not because I've been sniffing white-out for the last hour, either. 2 wins until we get the "Dynasty" stamp? Hell yeah wave your guns in the air.

Ace, I am glad to see that your coming around in your views about the Patriots. Really, they aren't bad guys, especially since they dumped Terry Glenn and Andy Katzenmoyer failed his IQ test. They win, that's all. Nothing showy, sometimes boring, but always consistent. They have some demons to exorcise this weekend to make up for the lackluster showing in the previous Pittsburgh game. So, I don't want to say it's going to be a "romp" this weekend, but I am also not saying that it will be close either. If you know what I mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home