Monday, February 14, 2005

The Death of Gene Parmesan?

The following is from Cinescape, which is a website I know nothing about. And despite being a third-degree master of research, I'm waaay too lazy to even find the "About us" tab on the website this morning:

"Ominous news for funniest-show-on-television ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT this week: Fox has trimmed this season's episode order from 22 to 18. Combined with the show's continued and frustrating lack ratings, as well as Fox's plans to drop AMERICAN DAD into AD's timeslot this Spring, it seems to suggest a troubled future for the Show…if any future at all.

If AD doesn't return for a third season, on the one hand, I will be enormously perturbed that more viewers didn't tune in, presumably because they were too busy watching Tivo'd episodes of AMERICAN IDOL or somesuch nonsense. On the other hand, at least it made it through two seasons rather than dying an even-more-premature death like similar off-the-wall Fox comedies like THE TICK or ANDY RICHTER CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE." [More...]

Well, let's not write the tele-obit just yet...but it is a sad, sad state of affairs when the funniest show on the tube can't get enough viewers to survive. Everybody's so busy watching "Who Wants to Scrub My Dad's Shorn Scrotum?" and "Another Quirky Billionaire Masturbates Feverishly To His Own Image" that the actual comedic geniuses get largely overlooked.

I can't stress enough how unbelievable I think this show is, featuring a brilliant ensemble cast and hilarious writers. Sadly, though, it's not just Fox -- we need real Topeka people to start watching the greatness that is this show. Spread the gospel, Sunday nights at 8:30, and if you're nice, you just might be treated to an episode like last night's...Martin Short's "Uncle Jack" character almost made me piss my pants. To the nuts!

Five unrelated notes:

1. Quote of the weekend, perhaps of the year: "Every role that's ever been given to Morgan Freeman is outrageous...and insulting." --Lina, with LG in the background saying "Given, or takes?"

2. Ordinarily I try not to pump up the egos of others, but one of our new bloggergeek friends came up with a fairly brilliant idea concerning federal funds used by political campaigns and tax refunds...and I wanted to share. It'll take maybe two minutes tops to read, and I'm guaranteeing you'll come away saying, "Hmm, sounds about right." I give you, Ahren's campaign finance reform.

3. I'm still reeling from Thursday's epic tsunami benefit (see pictures below) that moe. put on, featuring Trey, Medeski, Sam Bush, Hartswick, Ray Pacfajkfkjfafjfski and others. This show came out of nowhere, what a gem! If you want to either stream it or download it, here's where to go...or here. That Peaches en Regalia is flawless. Flawless!

4. Chris Rock, host of this year's Oscars, is pissing people off, especially the guys that hired him: "What straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars? Show me one!" He said some other things too...

5. Happy Valentine's Day?

11 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger ethan said...

the tick, starring none other than "go devils!" puddy. good stuff.

and really, i can't say enough about uncle jack. when he told dragon to "dangle me!" and then spit up ("ignore it ! ignore it!") as george michael went for a hug. yeah, nothing i can say does it justice.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I MUST re-watch last night's episode again tonight...on a TV scale of 1-10, last night was an 8.5 (with only a few episodes of Seinfeld, the Gene Parmesan AD epi and Family Guy's 15 Minutes of Shame epi getting 10s, and maybe a few episodes of It's a Living get 10s...OK, maybe not).

Devillllls...don't mess with the Devillllls. "Gotta support the team."

Welcome back Ethan, feel like it's been ages since you been hangin' 'round out watering hole.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I forgot to mention in that last post: "To the Nuts! The bridge mix, the bridge mix!"

Doesn't get better.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger ethan said...

i only have 4 weeks of work left so it's been hectic. oof, that is a terrible excuse.

still, i can always make time to talk about dragon, the bullet, or how tobias slipped "facial" in last nite.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger John Howard said...

The few times that I've seen Arrested Development, I liked it, but I always end up doing something else at that time, and miss it. But last night, I watched the Simpsons, and would have watched AD, except that it was the one with Martin Short in it, and I HATE Martin Short. I don't know why anyone thinks that guy is funny. So, I didn't watch it, and if they're bringing in Marthin Short, it must be going downhill from the ones I have seen.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Working "facial" into anything is funny, even funnier when it's Dr. Tobias Funke.

JRH, if you think the current incarnation of the Simpsons is funny, then you'll love AD if you stick with it. AD is MUCH funnier than the Simpsons week in and week out, it's not even a contest.

I'm ambivalent about Martin Short, but he was absolutely hilarious last night. He basically played Jack LaLanne, and was just too damn funny to be done justice here.

To the nuts!

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Dave #6 said...

Sorry to get off topic, but I couldn't resist pointing you all towads the latest development in the saga of our hypocritical GOP leaders, and inept press -- check out the turn the Guckert/Gannon story has now taken . . .

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005/02/man-called-jeff.html

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I can't believe I am hearing this. Since I was not "in the know" when this show first came out, I didn't get to watch the first season until recently thanks to Netflix. I must say that it is an OUTSTANDING piece of television. Great writing, awesome characters and the storyline is great. My new goal in life is to be Buster, army outfit and all. I am in favor of starting a petition to keep this on the air, and I would also be privy to a sit-in at Fox as well.

***************

On a completely different note, I picked up the Canseco book today. I grabbed the last copy at the bookstore. I implore all of you to get this, only for the fact that it is very easy to read (he "writes" on a 4th grade level) and the shit that this guy is putting out is outlandish and fantastic. I skimmed through a bunch of chapters, starting with Chapter 16 titled something like "The biggest steroid user in the history of sports: Jason Giambi" and in only a few pages, he calls out Giambi, McGwire, Tejada, Brady Anderson and also shits on Tony LaRussa. I can't wait to really dive into it. Expect a full book report shortly.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Dave #6, thanks for the link -- I've been following this story very closely, and it turns me on to no end. No, I mean, it's, um...

Matty, glad to have you aboard the AD train...there are no other comedies on TV that have me excited every week like this show. Period.

On the Canseco front -- I may read the book, but I'm not buying it. This guy, whether he's lying or not, does not deserve any of my money. My money is saved for drug dealers, smut peddlers and bagel and pizza establishment owners. Canseco ain't gettin a dime.

But I want a full book report, nonetheless.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger ahren said...

that ahren guy is a douchebag

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

That is true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home