Monday, February 21, 2005

RIP HST

I can't possibly do this man justice in death.

He's a fucking hero to all the wannabe writers out there that wanted nothing more than to be the next big-time gonzo journalist. I can't even count how many times in my life I emulated him, wished I were him, fell asleep dreaming of a life like his. I guess this is how it all ends, eh Doc?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is obviously a ridiculously awesome book -- I mean, it changed my life to some degree -- and you'll hear an awful lot about it in the next few days, but read this one if you haven't, it's fucking fantastic (less Gonzo, more non-fiction): Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga.

A sad day.

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger ethan said...

i'm a huge FaLiLV fan. top 5 of all time for me. hunter sure was a weird cat, so this ending is just another tick on the strange-o-meter.

i still think it's bizarre that he wrote for page 2.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Definitely strange, but I never thought it would all end like this...you'd think the guy was too brave in his writing to ever do this to end his life. Suicide is always craisins, never can quite be explained.

I remember reading his first column ever, the birth of Page 2 pretty much, and thinking, this idea is terrible, this article is terrible, ESPN is gonna fail miserably.

Credit Bill Simmons for keeping Page 2 afloat and making it successful (well, depending on your definition of success). Who woulda ever thought Simmons would be more influential than HST? Also craisins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home