Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Strange Doings in the Windy Apple

This story is fucking craisins: "A federal judge who was once the target of a failed murder plot by a white supremacist found two bodies in a pool of blood in her basement, and a source said the victims were her husband and her mother." [More...]

The strangest part is that the white supremacist in question, Matt Hale, is pretty well-known amongst us Northwestern kids. Halfway through my junior year, Hale followed his hate pamphlets by trying to organize a student group on our campus, attempting to start a chapter of the World Church of the Creator right in our E-town backyard.

That, and the fact that a follower of his, Benjamin Smith, killed two people the summer before, including former Northwestern basketball coach Ricky Byrdsong on a two-state killing spree. Smith eventually turned the gun on himself, but Hale's message got more press in his death. Hale is behind bars awaiting trial, but I'm sure he's involved.

Just weird stuff, especially considering none of us really cared all that much about this little episode at the time. I can't imagine how I'd react if I weren't a 20-year-old kid that was most likely sleeping off an unbelievable ecstasy binge or Beirut madness. I'm sure I'd be outraged about Hale coming to my town (while protecting his right to free speech!) and trying to organize like-minded douchebags. If I knew then what I know now...or something.

Eh, the innocence and ignorance of youth. Gotta love the protective bubble of academia.

2 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

So the "going on a rampage and having the Judge's Mother and Husband killed" thing- overt or casual racism?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Well, the whole killing thing I think is more judicial-related, but in general, I think this qualifies somewhere in the vicinity of the most overt racism you can find.

Overt racism has nothing on casual racism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home