Thursday, April 21, 2005

Deadication

There are times when I look at my CD collection and my stacks of tapes and just shake my head. All that time, all that money...was it really well spent? Do I have obsessive compulsive disorder? I've always thought the answer to both of those questions is yes, although you can't always take stock of your own time management and mental defects objectively.

Then I read shit on public messages boards about how insane other people are about this stuff. Is it dedication to a hobby or just complete craziness? Take this guy for example (and it probably stands to reason that the guy's profile has this hilarious cartoon in it):

"Project one was a duplication of 2,400 of my top GD CDs for 8 other people. Everyone chipped in and we shared all the expenses including the cost of the CDs, getting them direct from Taiyo Yuden. I remmeber the day the 'pallet' of CDs were delivered to my house. The project was started in July 2003 and finished this week. 19, 200 CDs fully labeled and in Cases. American Digital loves me as do 8 other friends.

"Project two was the downloading of the entire GD from Archive.org and transferring all other GD shows to SHN/FLAC and storing digitally. Then mirroring the digital collection for 2 other souls. The collection fits on 9 300 GB Hard drives. IN addition, I ended up with an extra 500 GB HD that Jaystraw picked up from me and was fillled with 500 GB of his favorite shows. The last of the HDs went out today also. The project was started in May 04 and finished last week."

Some of you may read that and just shake your heads. But for some reason I think of this guy's two projects as completely normal behavior and something I would definitely try if I had the time and the hard drive space. It probably cost the dude a lot of time and money, but I file that in the "well worth it" category. I can only hope this collection won't go up in a fire some day so he has it forever.

I don't know where I'm going with this or what point I'm trying to make...basically, I'm just pointing out to you guys there are people out there nerdier than me with more OCD issues when it comes to live music than me. And that makes me feel good, I guess.

So in honor of the completion of this dude's simultaneous projects, click on this link of the 12/26/79 show in Oakland to listen to the greatest version of Shakedown Street, and what I consider to be the best jam in the Dead's long history. About nine minutes in, Brent Mydland just takes over...and it's a thing of fucking beauty. And, to me, it justifies burning and celebrating the band's entire catalogue.

You just gotta poke around.

3 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger Wooglin said...

I have spent a great deal of time on my music collection too. (Let's just say that finding Michael Bolton's early stuff is not easy, let alone getting quality soundboard recordings.)

But I don't think there is any clinical diagnosis needed. I think the problem arises when you spend all your time collecting the music and none of your time actually listening to it. That's just plain irrational.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger John Howard said...

...shaking head...

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Wooglin, you are truly a voice of reason...today and always.

Listening to music sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home