Friday, April 29, 2005

Notes From Lukas

A guest post? Sure, why not? The first item is interesting for the pushbroom moustache factor, the second two are direct assaults on the beliefs espoused by the Ace Cowboy. Behold:

1. Bagel tosser
"Former West Virginia quarterback Jeff Hostetler has shut down a bagel shop he owned a few miles from his alma mater." [Article]

Why did Jeff Hostetler have a bagel shop? And what was so wrong with his bagels that he had to shut down? He must be commended for taking The End like a man: "It's just time to do it," he said. "This was the way to do it."

Most people in West Virginia survive on a steady diet of Salisbury steak and tater tots; trying to introduce fancy Jewish food into their meal plans may have been difficult.

[ed. note: If bagels and schmear is considered "fancy Jewish food," I'm the upperest-class motherfucker on the planet. I eat bagels all three meals a day at least three time a week.]

2. Podcasting
Is it just me, or is this just a fancy term for "downloading a really big mp3 to put on my iPod?" I like free music as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure if this deserves phenomenon status, or even its own term.

It shouldn't be called podcasting until our iPods are equipped with wireless technology, and people can push audio streams to us on request. THAT would be podcasting...this is just downloading either streaming audio (which has been around forever) or a big mp3 file.

[About ten minutes after sending me this e-mail, Lukas IMed me the following]: Shit, I was wrong about podcasting. "Users subscribe to podcasts using 'podcatching' software (also called 'aggregator' software) which periodically checks for and downloads new content." So it is a little different in that it automatically downloads stuff, but I still say, it's not podcasting 'til we have wireless pods.

[ed. note: The phrase "wireless pods" freaks me out in a Soylent Green kind of way. And even though I think it's cool, Lukas has a point.]

3. Ryan Adams
You hated him at the Jammys -- and I wasn't there, so I can't defend the man. But before you write him off as only good playing Dead covers, listen to To Be Young here and tell me it's not an excellent song.

[ed. note: Yeah, that's pretty good, but mainly because it reminds me of the intro to Old School. I maintain that Ryan Adams is a wanker, even though I've heard his Jammy's performance sounds better on disc than at the show.]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Slack.

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Having witnessed Ryan Adams live, I can attest to the fact that he is the worlds biggest wanker. Talks for 5 minutes between songs, starts and stops randomly. I mean, I expect performers to be wasted, but not quite this wasted.

Some of that Whiskeytown stuff is ok though.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Okay, guess I'm not alone then...Not only was I impressed by how big a d-bag he was, but he was ridiculously drunk at the Jammy's. Guy was slurring his speech like a Kennedy.

Never heard WhiskeyTown. Or anything else really. And now I'm not gonna really try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home