Monday, April 25, 2005

That Guy

Chipotle Bob this weekend sent over a pretty funny trailer for a documentary hitting the film festival scene. And it looks glooorious.

In my first ever post on this here blogaroo 11 months ago, I sung the praises of the ultimate That Guy. Looking back, the post isn't very well written, but it does show my affection for a man that will soon be on top of the world.

"I answered a burning question this weekend: Just who is the ultimate That Guy? Is it J.T. Walsh? Is it Dan Hedaya or Peter Stormare? Occasionally some of these folks will come along and transcend the phenomenom altogether. Somehow you'll never bother to learn their real name, but you'll always call them by the character's name with which they're most associated. Classic example: Shooter McGavin. Who the fuck cares what this guy's name is? Shit, Shooter McGavin thinks his fuckin' name is Shooter McGavin. But after thinking about this for like eight or twelve hours, I discovered there really is clear-cut champion here. And that man is Stephen Tobolowsky. Raise your hand if you can accurately identify Stephen Tobolowsky. Exactly.

But Tobes is actually the King of the That Guy realm...he's Shooter Times Three. Some people know him well as Ned Ryerson. Ned! Ryerson! Needle-nosed Ned, Ned the Head. Case Western High, Ned Ryerson! I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show. Bing! But other people know him as the strangely sexy Mary McDonnell's prey in the underrated film Sneakers, Werner Brandis. Hello, my name is Werner Brandis. My voice is my passport, verify me. And then there's the cult of Memento, who consider Tobolowsky's Sammy Jankis character one of the keys to deciphering the movie's meaning.

Personally I'm a Ned Ryerson guy, it doesn't get better than that character for me. He's one for the ages...just thinking about his well-delivered dialogue makes me smile downstairs. I don't really know what my point is here. But I do know that Stephen Tobolowsky should be a celebrated man, in a freakishly popular Christopher Walken kind of way, and I'm just trying to get the ball rolling. (Also, check out the man's the IMDb trivia page -- he turned down the role of Al on Home Improvement and he was almost murdered twice in one week by different people. Classic Ryerson.)" --AC, 5/29/04

Apparently someone else got the ball rolling on making Tobolowsky a celebrated men. After reading this little description of the flick and then watching the trailer (below), I'm predicting Tobolowsky will be a household name by the end of the year. And I couldn't be happier. The trailer doesn't give too much away, but I'm betting this thing's gonna be fucking awesome. After this project, I just need to get the guy who says "Chester A. Arthur" and "the water aquaduct" in Die Hard With a Vengeance to become famous and then we got it made.

Without further (Freddy) ado: Steven Tobolowsky's Birthday Party

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home