Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Annie Get Your Venom

I had two major projects to do this week for my job...and both ended up getting cancelled while I was half-way done. I mean, that's super-sweet, really. In each case I get credit for the attempt, but I don't have to open myself to boss-related scrutiny and eventual ridicule of the finished product. Cool beans.

So instead I've been doing other things for work, but mostly I've been slacking big time. I've got the Braves/Marlins on my desk television, I've been e-mailing my tits off, I'm surfing the world wide web like nobody's business. Hell, I'm off to Cincinnati tomorrow afternoon and I've already checked out.

Then I came across this story and had to post it up here. The Lovely and Talented Ann Coulter spoke at the University of Texas last night, and a student got arrested for no good reason. Peep this:

"Shouts became so pervasive during the question-and-answer session that Coulter informed the organizers she would no longer take questions if the hecklers were not silenced. For a time, the shouts were considerably lessened, until the issue of gay marriage was broached.

Coulter said she supported the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman on the basis that a good woman civilizes and inspires a man to strive for something better, leading to a question that was met with a stunned silence.

'You say that you believe in the sanctity of marriage,' said Ajai Raj, an English sophomore. 'How do you feel about marriages where the man does nothing but fuck his wife up the ass?'" [More...]

Now, I can understand removing the student and even banning him from future events. But arresting him? For what? The police report says he made gestures simulating masturbation as he went back to his seat, but still, that's enough for an arrest? I'm on board with arresting the d-bag that throws a pie at this girl, that's fine, that's assault. But this is nuttier than squirrel turds.

I don't hate Ann Coulter...in fact, I think she's a smart business-woman. Do you honestly think she wakes up in the morning spouting this vitriol and hating liberals? Nah, it's all an act, and it's an act that has landed her four NY Times bestsellers and a shitload of cash.

To me, she's basically no different than Stone Cold Steve Austin. He's Steve Austin when he wakes up (actually, he's Steve Williams), but when he gets to work he dials up the rhetoric and the insansity to become Stone Cold, all in the name of making a buck. Coulter's gotta be the same way. She wakes up a conservative, but when she gets to work she dials up the rhetoric and the insanity to become a raging bitch, all in the name of making a buck.

And she's got both sides falling for it. The trick is to ignore these people, and one day they really will go away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home