Thursday, May 26, 2005

Big Pimpin', Oy Vey

"A 14-year-old Israeli was arrested by police on suspicion of working as a pimp, Israeli newspapers reported Thursday. 'Instead of playing ball with his friends, he discovered there was lot of money to be made in the sex industry,' the daily Maariv reported.

According to the newspaper, the adolescent allegedly employed two teenagers, age 17 and 19, to sell favors to Palestinian workers. In the beginning, he split the profits with the girls, but later began pocketing the entire amount." [MORE]

I personally applaud the efforts of this entrepeneurial youngster, seeing as how I firmly believe prostitution should be legalized and whores unionized. The benefits so drastically outweigh the cons that it makes no sense to me why this practice is illegal. But then I just take one quick look at our nation's drug laws and remember why I'm not surprised in the least.

Plus, as Aaron Sorkin points out, aren't women who fight against prostitution really just hypocrites? They spend so much time arguing that government can't tell them what to do with their bodies when it comes to abortion, but it's acceptable for this issue?

On a totally different note, while waiting for the down elevator yesterday I heard a voice coming from a spot about 10 paces to my left. The figure was hidden behind a big cardboard placard advertising free smoothies for employees in the cafeteria (that's today, yeah!), but I knew the voice right away. I knew it.

"That's definitely fuckin' Ron Howard," I said to my colleague. As soon as I made that declaration, the figure emerged from behind the big sign, and sure enough, Ron Howard walked over to where we were standing. Like I said in the Bono story from last week, it's really not my style to bother celebrities in the real world, a trait I definitely did not inherit from my mother ("Oh my Gaaawd, you guys, look, that's Brandi!").

I really wanted to tell him how much I love Arrested Development, and I wonder if he would have appreciated that. Of course I didn't say anything, despite the fact that he looked extra-approachable. I mean, no matter how rich and famous you are, aren't getting compliments the best thing ever? Isn't knowing that something you're a part of is giving others such joy? I sure as shit would want to hear it, even if I were a billionaire with two hot wives and a dozen paparazzi permanently following me around.

Alas, I held my tongue. So Ron, if you read this blog, I'm the guy who said, "After you, sir" on the elevator, and I really enjoy Arrested Development. Thanks for doing your part to get it back on the air next season. Oh, and EdTV, terrible movie. Just awful.

3 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

Front page article in the WSJ this morning about the semi-legalization of prostitution in Belgium. It talked about how it has had a direct impact (I think the figure was 48% decrease) on crimes related to prostitution like robbery, etc. It also talked about the fact that even though it is considered legal in Amsterdam, Germany and now Belgium, there are still WAY more illegal prostitutes than legal ones and that there is no way that legalizing it will cut that out.

The major advantage to the government, as they see it, is obviously just making up the lost tax revenue that they wouldn't be making if prostitution was illegal. I think the figure was $800K last year. Seems kind of weak... But just like organized crime, they're always trying to figure out how to get a piece of the pie.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

But things are better for those prostitutes than ever before, I'd argue, and I'm sure that's true. This makes sense for the women (and men I'd assume?) and the government, who'd make a fortune off this.

As for the fact that there are still illegal ones, I mean, that happens everywhere. There are still illegal alcohol bootleggers for chrissakes. To me, that's no argument against legalization.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

How about the fact that legalization would most likely cause prices to sky rocket? Gone are the days of the $2 handjob in a back alley...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home