Thursday, June 23, 2005

Birfday Fallout

1. I've been spending way to much time with the Cowboy Family lately. But I also got a free trip to LA and a free dinner last night, so I ain't complaining.

Last night my folks took my brother, sister-in-law and me out for the big 2-6. The Cowboy Parentals are the hippest people ever, much cooler than me, and they know all the hotspot eateries around Manhattan. So we went to this place in Tribeca called Landmarc, down on West Broadway and Leonard. If you're in a position to drop about $50 for several drinks and a great meal, go to this place now. You can't make a reservation for parties under 6, so that sucks. But everything else is a 10. A Varsity Blues BillyBob-style 10.

The food is top-notch, especially the steak and the mussels, which they prepare in many different styles and sauces, and the wine list is extraordinary. The whole concept of this place is that they sell wine at liquor store prices -- they want you in there trying different bottles and stepping up your choices. Plus, they want to get people in there to eat the delicious food. So go there, you will not be disappointed.

2. If anyone's around tomorrow, it's Celebrate with the Ace Cowboy at a Dive Bar Near His Apartment Night in Manhattan. We're going to this place called Patrick Kavanagh's on Third Avenue (between 33rd and 34th), and we're gonna tie one on. Man, I hate that expression. Anyway, it could suck and maybe we'll move somewhere else, but I chose the place because usually it's empty and it's really unassuming and that's why I like it. No lines, no lists, just beer and liquor and good friends. Show up in shorts, sandals, ripped jeans, ripped sandals, a towel, whatever you want. We'll be there around 10-ish, so stop by for a drink.

3. Many thanks to everyone who either called me, e-mailed me, posted a comment here, whatever. Your well-wishing is much appreciated, seriously. And a special thanks goes out to the Ambiguously Gay Uno, who may just qualify as the bestest roommate in the world. Kid hooked up some great gifts when I expected absolutely nothing. No late-night hummers, you sick fucks...but he did finger my ass a little before bed.

4. I love the way the world works. When I was a wee little tyke, I worshipped the movie Herbie the Love Bug (I know the original doesn't actually have the word Herbie in the title, but I still call it that). I mean, worshipped, like I needed to watch it three or four times a day. I loved that 53 car. My parents tell me that I refused to go places unless I could put it on wherever I was going. And, of course, like 20 years after my obsession ended, the Herbie: Fully Loaded remake came out on my birfday of all days. I gotta go see that this weekend. Anyone wanna go see Lohan's boobs and a cool car with a mind of its own? I'm not kidding.

5. And I cannot wait to see this documentary...I've heard so much about it. This one's going to be awesome.

Slack Song of the Day: I'm feelin' a little late '70s Garcia-infused Discofunk -- here's a little Dancin' in the Streets from the famed Cornell show (5/8/77), one of my favorite versions because Bobby comes in too early on the "Callin' out." Classic Bobby.

3 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace, A happy fricken 26! Sorry I can't make it for drinks and well even more sorry that I may be starting work in a week and will not be able to continually enjoy your banter and bull-shit on a daily basis. I would like to still extend a invo to you and any other of your NYC friends that can make it across the Canadian Border to come to montreal july 16th for the international reggae festival. "Cans! its just Cans."

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

Hey Ace, Happy Birthday man, I'm back to the internet, been away in Israel for a month and have been out of touch with the world. I've missed reading the blog. Hope all is well.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

No baby, it was just caaans. Anon., you know I'd love to hit that festie with ya, but it ain't in the cards. But I truly can't wait to get back up North and hang with you and the fellas. Tell B-Murph I was wassssup.

Offpeak, good to have ya home. Get posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home