Friday, June 24, 2005

Cart Before the Horse

‘Tis been confirmed and reported on Trey’s website:

Medeski, Martin and Wood will play a full set opening for Trey on August 5 at the Festival Pier @ Penn’s Landing in Philadelphia, PA.
It’s fairly safe to assume that Trey’s opening act will make his 70 Volts look like fucking amateurs. As much as I love to Trey-bash as a joke, I’m not kidding about the fact that MMW is the better band performing at Penn’s Landing.

Incidentally, I caught the Jam on the River with Handstand and Friends at the Festival Pier at Penn’s Landing, and it’s one helluva venue. Check out this show if you're anywhere near Philly...

If you need to be reminded: the Big Red Big Gay Summer Tour.

3 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger misterlister said...

The Reggae Hasidic guy is the opener for Trey's show in Chicago in August. I think this is a 100%confirmation that he's gone off the deep end. It's also weird that Trey seems to think that this city is some sort of Israeli outpost. First Phish plays Avenu Malkenu every time they played at the [awful] Rosemont Horizon, now this. I mean, sure, Ariel Sharon would fill up on about 50 Chicago style hot dogs if he had the chance, but it's still bizarro.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous HANDSTAND said...

Actually, found out this week that Trey is not playing that place we Jammed at the River. Its another, bigger venue up the river. More of a flat ground with big stage type place. Kinda sucks, but the area is still pretty sweet.

And as for the MMW/70VP thing, I would normally agree but the last MMW show I saw (10/31/04) was definitely NOT better than Trey's Hammerstein shows. As much as MMW are probably the favorites, I'd be hesitant to throw my money on them.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

So Trey's not playing that little amphitheatre on the water? Too bad, that would be one helluva place to see the Bad Lt. Regardless of who's better that night, I think everyone would be worse off if Johnny M. didn't join the 70 Volts for a song or three.

The Phish definitely loved the Chicagoan Jews...the 11/9/98 Avenu Malkenu at the UIC Pavillion was pretty cool, sandwiched in between a kickass Bathtub and the Moma Dance that saved my life. I'll never forget them segueing into Avenu from TMWSIY and Donnie smacking me in the ribs, going, "You're Jewish, sing it. Sing it!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home