Thursday, June 02, 2005

News and Notes

1. If anyone works with a television nearby their desk, today's the day for greatness. The 78th Annual Scripps National Spelling Bee finals will air at 10 am - noon, and then again from 1 pm 'til the champeen is crowned. I'll be watching all five hours.

Nobody will ever beat the scary chick from Brooklyn who won the '97 Bee by spelling euonym, and nothing will ever beat the dude from last year's Bee that fainted, stood up and dusted himself off and nailed the word. But, this is why we watch, you just never knows what's gonna happen in the nation's capital. I'm putting my money on anyone with a full 'stache, guy or girl.

2. Have you guys heard about the Live 8 Concert yet?

According to Jambase and Billboard.com (and the Live Music Blog), "Performers include Paul McCartney, R.E.M. and U2 at London's Hyde Park; Will Smith, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band and Stevie Wonder at the Philadelphia Museum of Art; Crosby, Stills & Nash, Lauryn Hill and Brian Wilson at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate; Jamiroquai, Youssou N'Dour, Yannick Noah and Placebo at a Paris venue to be announced; and Duran Duran, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill at Rome's Circus Maximum. Recent additions are rumored to indicate both Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones have signed on to what is sure to be the music/humanitarian event of the year. These are not confirmed, but rumors only at this point."

Wait a minute, back that up. Is that Yannick Noah the dread-locked tennis player who won the 1983 French Open that's scheduled to appear in Paris? What's he gonna do, hit the through-the-legs-with-his-back-to-the-net trick shot? Or is there a band clever enough to name themselves after Yannick Noah? In that case...I dig, I dig. Oh wait, I bet Yannick Noah the dread-locked tennis player became Yannick Noah the singer that blows goats, didn't he? Oh man, tell me he didn't. Please tell me he didn't.

He did, I just looked it up. Sad day in music and sports.

3. Whoever's doing the marketing for Starbucks Double Shot Espresso needs a serious promotion right now. Salary increase, corner office, private parking, whatever it takes. These people are making great mershes, just great mershes.

First they break out the personal band singing "Roy! Roy, Roy, Roy!" to Eye of the Tiger, now they throw this "Hank" mersh at us. I don't drink coffee, or Double Shot Espresso for that matter, but I love what they've done here. Rock n Roll Part II never sounded so good.

4. I'm working from home today. Recovery is taking place, but it never hurts to take advantage of being comfortable when the boss is on vacation. Regardless, I'm in my boxers all day and lovin' it.

5. Slack Song of the Day: I'm gonna change it up today and post an entire show, because I listened to this the other day and it's mind-blowing at times. Here's Warren Haynes and Friends from the Bowery Ballroom on 2/2/05 -- Friends include John "God" Medeski on keys, Dave Schools on bass (Widespread Panic), Skerik on saxomaphone and Matt Abts on drums (Gov't Mule). Enjoy, this thing is incredible, I can't believe I didn't even hear about it until it was too late.

4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger John Howard said...

Nothing about the 49ers training video? Come on, Ace, you're slacking. I posted about it on my blog, but no one has commented. I guess maybe I'm the only one that found it interesting.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

See above. I was workin' on it, jeeeez!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Update on the Bee:

Some kid made a Napolean Dynamite reference...and nobody got it, there was just dead silence. he was asking a whole bunch of questions and then said,"Do the chickens have large talons?" in Napolean's voice. Dead silence.

The announcer said then something like, "Is that secret code?"

Oh, priceless. Priceless!

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now this is funny shit... some kid got eliminated last year on the word "girlfriend" and when asking the judge to use it in a sentence she said, "you will never have a girlfriend." The poor kid went off the stage crying. He's home schooled and aparently had heard the word once before. The quote of the article, "We don’t have a television at my house because my parents say TV is for proletariat ignoramuses.”"


http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume3/2004-0609-spellingbee.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home