Monday, June 13, 2005

So Many Idols

G'Morning everybody. Who's tired? Who's hungry? Who's hungry?

The most low-key weekend I've had since graduating college turned into one helluva crazy Sunday. A surprise rooftop BBQ with no real occasion turned out to be a surprise engagement party, so I guess the surprise was on us. Fun times, but I had to leave a bit early to catch Extreme Championship Wrestling's One Night Stand Pay-Per-View reunion. I saw Trey at the Hammerstein a few weeks ago, and this kicked Trey's ass.

Since I already wrote in-depth about ECW last week, I'll spare you the recap of this glorious event (you can read the results of the PPV here), but you should know that this was one of the cooler events you'd ever see live. And, sadly, this one might just have been the last event of its kind. I brought a non-insider with me and he left speechless.

When you watch someone get powerbombed through a flaming table, your life will never be the same. When you watch a 6' 7'', 290-pound bohemoth fly through the air and drop some Chinaman from Japan head first through a table, your life will never be the same. When you see one of your favorite rasslers get piledriven right onto a huge ball of barbed wire, or watch someone take a cheese grater to the forehead repeatedly, your life will never be the same.

Everyone walked out of there with a huge "Worth Every Penny" smile on their face. When Tommy Dreamer looks like this after the main event, you know it's a good time.

ECW wasn't the only reunion this weekend, though: Pink Floyd announced they'll reunite for the first time in more than two decades for the Live-8 music concerts. Nothing better than some old guys burying the hatchet in the quest for cash. Hey, you. No really, Hey, you, you're standing on my IV.

The highlight of this weekend's absurdity, however, came from the Bonnaroo festival down in Tennessee. A collision of worlds, my mother's and my own: The Redheaded Fuckface, now fronting the nation's greatest cover band, called out American Idol Bo Bice for a rousing rendition of Van Halen's Panama. Trey also played with the Hasidic reggae superstar Matisyahu, and you can see that in the pics as well. More later, perhaps...if you want more on Bonnaroo, check out the Live Music Blog.

And if you haven't seen this story, you haven't seen shit: "Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton turned furious and considered legal action after learning bestselling author Ed Klein would allege in a new book: Bill Clinton raped her -- resulting in the conception of daughter Chelsea Clinton!"

Slack Song of the Day: I wanna go with an ECW Theme Song like Pantera's Walk or Metallica's Enter Sandman, but I find it tough to listen to that stuff outside the arenas. So here's the exact opposite -- the Dead's Jack Straw from the Boston Garden, 3/12/81.

4 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger ethan said...

re

spect

walk

are you talkin to me?

are you talkin to me???

walk on home punk.

[arena or no arena, i nominate this as the song of the day.]

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I've been singing that song since 9:30 pm last night. Started when RVD came out, haven't stopped yet.

Man, I know you guys don't care, but I haven't felt a room so alive and electric since Phish came back from hiatus (too soon) on New Year's '02. Bold statement, but true. I need a copy of last night on tape ASAP.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

i need a copy too, hearing about tommy dreamer getting slammed thru a flaming table (not that there's anything wrong with that) makes me want to wreak havoc throughout the city.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Tonight at the Bowery Ballroom, Flaming Tables, playing songs from their debut album "Not That There's Anything Wrong With That."

"Oh My God!!!" --Joey Styles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home