Wednesday, July 27, 2005

AppleJack, John Mapplethorpe

"How does an asshole like Bob get such a nice kitchen?" --Dignan

I think I've mentioned here before that Bottle Rocket is the greatest comedic movie ever made. There are some close calls, movies that almost replicate to the feeling I get when I watch Wes Anderson's and Owen Wilson's writing debut, but nothing has ever suprassed it.

There are the classics like Caddyshack and Fletch, slapsticky laugh-riots like Airplane! and The Naked Gun, the Guest/Levy genius collaborations of Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show, anything featuring Kevin Kline or produced and directed by the Coen Brothers, some grossly underrated Martin Lawrence flicks like Nothing to Lose and Blue Streak, and even Wes Anderson's other movies (Life Aquatic not included).

But nothing does it for me like Bottle Rocket. It's simply genius. It features one of the greatest main characters in cinema history (Owen's Jerry Dignan) and a cast of supporting players that should all share a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. In truth, the Brothers Wilson have never been better actors or as understatedly funny than in this flick. And, if you want to see some awesome one-piece jumpsuits, this is the place.

Since I absolutely despise movie and concert and CD reviews -- these things are too subjective to be captured by a critic -- I'm not going to lay it out any further than I already have. All I will say is, if you have never seen this pelicula, do yourself a favor and rent it this weekend. Or come over and watch it with me. Either way, after you see it a few times, you'll realize there's no better movie in Wes Anderson's portfolio and none better in The Wilsons'. Frankly, there's just no greater comedy.

And that's why the following Slate article is so interesting. Here's the premise: "What if Owen Wilson, America's resident goofy roué with the broken nose and the lazy nasal drawl, was the rudder keeping USS Anderson on course, steering its captain away from solipsism and ironic overload?"

Read on, friends, read on. This guy makes some good points.

Slack Story of the Day: "A woman who was upset over being searched bodily at an airport was convicted Tuesday of assaulting a security screener by grabbing the federal officer's breasts." [More]

Slack Link of the Day: First it was making laws for one Schiavo, now government's getting into the yenta business. Remind me where the small government conservatives are the next time they talk about "the era of big government." Get married, get cash.

Slack Songs of the Day: Because for some reason I can't get enough of these guys, here's Umphrey's McGee on Anchor Drops from the KBCO Studio in Boulder on 2/25/05. They then followed that up with a sweet Women, Wine and Song.

18 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger ethan said...

great call on those underated martin movies. i feel the same way about i spy - thought it would be awful but actually liked it.

anyone notice that bottle rocket's been getting a lot of play on comedy central of late?

what'd you think of wedding crashers?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

One of Martin Lawrence's best quotes came from "Nothing to Lose":

"Keys and your wallet, beeeeitch"

A simple statement in and of itself, but the way he says it makes me double over every time.

Great article in the latest Rolling Stone about Owen Wilson (and Vince Vaughn), and they mention his support of Wes Anderson and the comedic genius of Bottle Rocket.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

They've been playing Bottle Rocket on Comedy Central? I haven't even noticed.

My favorite Nothing to Lose line is when Tim Robbins walks into the gas station with his feet smoking from the fire and the guy just deadpans, "You must be really fast." Classic. The same guy has the second best line too: "You know that show COPS? I love it."

That's a great flick.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger ahren said...

he's out... and you're out too... and i don't think i'm in either.

i love bottle rocket. RT is still my favorite of his, but i like them all. why does everyone dislike life aquatic? i thought it was great.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

And Bob, you're the zero out here in the car.

I personally disliked LA because it was too slow...way too slow. And I didn't think any of the characters besides Klaus were all that appealing and/or funny. There's something about the characters in his first three flicks that is deeply missing from LA.

But, I will say two things:

1. I have only seen it once. Maybe upon my second and third watching I'll like it more.

2. I don't hate it, and I don't even dislike it. I just didn't love it.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

And I can't fix a car like this cause I don't have the tools.....

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger ethan said...

you gotta love the interns in life aquatic.

i think the reason people are knocking life aquatic (and i heart huckabees) is that this type of movie is becoming more mainstream and thus viewed by "hardcore" fans as watered down.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I did like the interns in LA. I mean, I never bad-mouthed it by saying it sucks...I just didn't love it. You know what? I gotta rent this shit this week and watch it again...

And I really liked Huckabees.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's an asshole like Bob get such a nice kitchen?

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger hoobs said...

i disagree with life aquatic and huckabees being disliked because of those types of movies being mainstream. life aquatic was (in my opinion) subpar for wes anderson. not that i hated it, but the plot wasn't that engaging and i didn't really like many of the characters. huckabees i disliked, as i thought it tried too hard to be quirky and i thought the writing was pretty bad. marky mark was good, though.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

How do I delicately point out to the 3:17 Anon. poster that the line he/she commented on is the first line of this post? How do I do it?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger ethan said...

ace, i sort of remember me gushing about huckabees after i saw it and you bashing it. did this not happen?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger ethan said...

also, my favorite line of BR is

How's an asshole like Bob get such a nice kitchen?

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

I don't know exactly why, but I Heart Huckabees really got under my skin. I watched it over and over and over again and have really no idea why. Anyway.........

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I don't remember that happening. It might have. But I don't remember it.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

It's easy. Bob went to Home Depot and picked out several items, including:

*4" linoleum tile
*Imported mahogany cabinet panels
*An antique ceiling fan with stained glass light-shade
*Several boxes of refrigerator magnets (including the "Life is a Party" U-Spell-It Edition)
*Faucet fixtures by Kohler
and
*A Spountain

Bob saved boatloads by taking advantage of Home Depot's new employee pricing scheme, whereby he purchased his new kitchen for the amount Dale in Plumbing would have paid.

Bravo Bob. You ARE improving home improvement.

That's how an asshole like Bob got such a nice kitchen.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I call shennanigans on your clever little theory, Donnie.

Bob would have only improved home improvement if he went to Lowe's, and there's no way in hell Bob Mapplethorpe did anything himself. The guy's growing an entire crop of marijuana in his backyard for chrissakes.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love the props to Bottle Rocket. Every time I read some of the quotes I remember how funny it is. And the article on slate was interesting, though the author completely missed the boat on The Life Aquatic.

I know people say Anderson's newest masterpiece is cold and distant, others say it's soulless or simply not funny. All I can say is that I couldn't disagree more with any of that--but that maybe it's harder to find the warmness out at sea.

If it is a never-never land, as the slate author wrote, I love it
there. It's a fantasy, yes, and it's out there, yes, but if you can
accept it then it's a wonderful world to be a part of.

I honestly feel sorry for folks who don't get it. ESPECIALLY those who recognize the brilliance of all the other Wes films.

This is an adventure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home