Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Four Afternoon Links

1. I'm not sure if anyone caught the article about minor league baseball umpires trying to make it to the bigs, but it's a decent read.

Actually, I think it's especially funny since someone asked me not a week ago how many MLB umpire vacancies there are each year, and this was the sub-head on the piece: "There are only 68 major league umpiring jobs, and they open up about as often as vacancies on the Supreme Court." So, there's your answer.

2. I've never been the biggest fan of the Disco Biscuits. I used to dig them a lot in the late 90s, but then I stopped eating mass quantities of MDMA and realized I liked them less and less. Regardless, the Biscuits are combining the music festival with the camp concept of Color War at this year's Camp Bisco, and that's a pretty cool idea. Bring it on, Bisco fans. Tug o' war, woo hoo!

3. As we reported last week, I never actually made it inside the Phish Island Tour Listening Party down at the Canal Room. But I did somehow make it into the photos of Phish.com's From the Road section. In this picture, I'm the guy in between the bald guy with the peace sign and the dude in the white shirt. You can't see my face and I'm turned towards the street, but the Ace Cowboy has touched down on the popular rock band Phish's website. (LMB's Justin highlighted me, so now you can find me faster!).

So when people ask me if I was at the event, armed with this indisputable photographic evidence, I'll now put on my best Verne Lunquist voice and shout, "Yesssssir."

4. These "Terrorism Preparedness Guide" parodies are pretty old, but verrrrrry funny. Oldie but goodie. My favorite is: "Hurricanes, animal corpses and the biohazard symbol have a lot in common. Think about it." What's yours?

Slack Announcement of the Afternoon: Congratulations are in order for Gypsy Rose, my former boss and one of the coolest and funniest chicks on Earth. Gypsy added a little Rose to the family last week, a baby boy that's cute as a button. Congrats, and don't fuck him up.

Slack Song of the Afternoon: The geetar virtuoso Derek Trucks and his band playing Joyful Noise at Ripplefest in Bluffton, Ohio on 6/17/05. This is a damn good one, folks.

4 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

So rad that you are in that picture!
BTW - Your link isn't working - but you can go to the site and find it that way.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Try it now...it was workin' before, I think Pheesh is messin' with me.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger ahren said...

slack, you mind-reading devil. i was just like, "man, i wanna hear some derek trucks but don't feel like poking around the internet for it. maybe slack has some in his old songs of the day..." and then this... wow. you're my personal dj.

congratulations gypsy rose.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Any time, Ahren...

I'll make you a personal mix tape for $7.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home