Thursday, July 21, 2005

I Just Lost a Buck...To Myself

This morning I woke up to find out I lost the nerdiest bet I've ever made. I mean, this one was a real pocket-protector wager.

Wasted one night at Book Club (Book Club, ha! The nerd hole just gets deeper), in a heated discussion with LG about the disheartening state of the U.S. economy, I bet her a steak dinner the Chinese would never scrap the yuan's peg to the dollar, as those Commie bastards have been pledging for years.

And today, just a day after China warned they would keep the currency stable at a reasonable and balanced level, they made the switcharoo. Now I owe her a watermelon. Te-Te-Te-Tennesseeeee.

Switching gears in one of the least smooth segues you'll find, how 'bout that Robinson Cano? I've been meaning to mention how much I like this kid's game and how bright a future I see for him through my sunglasses, but I keep forgetting. It appears to me, though, the Yank'ums have once again gone to the Athletic Latino Second Baseman Well and raised up a serious talent on Troy's bucket.

I've heard people compare his hitting abilities to Hall of Famer Rod Carew and his fielding form to Manny Trillo -- that's not bad company at all. He's still young and he's still making some big errors on defense, but his quick hands and quick study at the plate make me think we're looking at the Yankees' second baseman for the next decade. And now if you'll excuse me, folks, I need to go change my pantaloons.

Slack Show of the Day: No fucking around with a cheesy Ace introduction. Just serious music. Here's an awesome hour of the Allman Brothers Band from 4/16/72.

By the way...does anyone ever listen to these suggestions I've been putting up every morning for the past three months? If not, you should. You should all love me long time.

Slack Link of the Day: Now I'm no activist, but I thought this was pretty cool. I like debunking myths (I'm a yuge fan of that show Mythbusters, yuge), and NORML's 2005 Truth Report does a great job showing the government what a bunch of hucksters they are. Fight the power. Kill whitey.

Plus, it reminds of one of my all-time favorite shows, when Donnie and I traveled to Normal, Illinois on 10/4/99. During Makisupa Policeman, Trey said "Woke up this morning...NORML (or normal or Normal)" and cracked up for a solid minute. Good times with the Redheaded Fuckface.

And Happy Birthday wishes go out to Slack readers Snacks and J-Cantor. Partay Partay at Mo's Carribean on 76nd and 2nd (I think) this evening.

14 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger ethan said...

that's one small step for man...I HAVE A DREAM!!!

cano doesn't walk enough, but i think he will be a .290-20-85 guy which is great for a 2nd baseman. i don't know if you caught the game last nite, but he made another bonehead defensive play - matthews hit a bloop double and immediately after the slide cano turned away from the play with his hands on his hips (upset about the call maybe?) when he really should've been anticipating matthews to over slide and apply a second tag, like jeter did to soriano the other day. matthews didn't overslide, but it was close, and cano was too busy sulking to be on that.

still, he's really growing on me, especially in the 2 hole so jeter can bat leadoff.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger ethan said...

also, i just noticed that in 1977 carew put up an OPS over 1.000 - with only 14 jacks. sweet jebus.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Carew's also the only man ever to win a batting crown without hitting a homerun all season (1972). That's a cool stat.

Anyway, I saw Cano's play, I've seen all the errors he's made over the past few months. But you know what? So did Soriano, and he still makes 'em. I think Cano will correct those errors in his first offseason as a Yank and become a good defensive player. At least, more than serviceable while hitting the crap out of the ball.

Also, Dorsey Levin just sent me this article lede -- this makes me smile wide:

With three starting pitchers on the disabled list and another, Kevin Brown, already counting the days to retirement, the Yankees finally have accepted that the path to the postseason will be through sheer-force offense. But the Bombers are dreaming of a second renaissance of pitching in 2006, which, according to their grandiose wish list, includes a new philosophy and a new guru - Leo Mazzone.

According to a person close to the Braves' legendary coach, Mazzone has been informally and indirectly contacted by members of the Yankees' hierarchy, asking if he'd be interested in succeeding Mel Stottlemyre. Mazzone has told the friend he would come to the Bronx "in a minute" for the right offer.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger ethan said...

wow. glad to see crazy mazzone is loyal to longtime coachmate booby cox (that's right - booby).

that would be terrific, especially on te jaret wright front. speaking of wright, the yanks don't have to pay him $7mil/year anymore right, due to that shoulder injury clause in his contract? please say this is true.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger ethan said...

sorry for the rash of comments, but is that really mao on the chinese currency? i guess i shouldn't be surprised, but wouldn't that be like the US printing bills with timothy mcveigh or john wilkes booth on them?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

We definitely have to pay Wright...unless I'm wrong. I thought the only way you didn't have to pay an injured player is if it's non-baseball related or explicitly in his contract. If "Don't suck" was in his contract, maybe we'd have a case.

And yes, Mao is on their cash...dude, they're still Communist. They might be Westernizing, but they are officially still Communist. read a NY Times piece from the other day about the government taking people's oil wells and then jailing their lawyers. it's a good read and shows how Red they still are, despite us wanting to go down on them.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Oh, and Ethan, I figured you'd be all over that subject header. No love for Farva today?

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger ethan said...

ooo, i couldn't place it. but i will say, the powdered sugar - it's delicious.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger ethan said...

just found this:

"Jaret Wright’s contract includes an out clause for the Yankees if he spends 75 days or more on the DL with a shoulder injury during the first two seasons. The Yankees could void the third year and save $3 million after a 4-million dollar buyout, meaning $18 million is guaranteed, even if he doesn't throw another pitch."

not as good as i hoped (i.e. spending 6 weeks on DL with shoulder injury means reducing $7mil/year to $3mil/year).

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger ahren said...

i listen to slack's songs of the day faithfully.

i love how the allman brothers have 2 songs -- the slide blues song and the dickey betts song, but they have like 12 versions of each.

speaking of dickey betts, he's somewhat randomly playing the fremont street experience here in september -- the same stage usually inhabited by the dregs of vegas lounge cover bands.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Good find, Ethan. Wright sucks.

Damn, Ahren, how the mighty have fallen...from leading one of the greatest rock-n-soul bands to ever walk the face of the Earth to a lunge in Vegas. Kinda sad, no? Still, I guess if I were Dickey I'd just thank my lucky stars I haven't died in a motorcycle accident yet.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger ethan said...

since we're off on classic rock a bit, one of the doobie brothers was a consultant for my former company. don't ask me how that guy passed the piss test.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger ahren said...

at least when dickey left, he took all his songs with him. i'm definitely gonna go check that show out.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger jp said...

I thought Soriano was going to be your 2nd baseman for the next decade.

Like everyone this side of Pay-Rod and Jeter, Georgie will sour on him at some point and get rid of him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home