Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Waiting in the Velvet Ropes

You'd have thought the band was getting back together last night.

All the heads came out last night. The line outside the Canal Room extended down W. Broadway and curled all the way around the corner. After the Fridge-looking bouncer loudly proclaimed there would be no additional ducat release for the surprisingly sold-out event, the Ticketless frantically scrambled to secure an extra. I heard at least five "Cash or heady, heady trade for your extra" calls and saw people's eyes bulge and light up whenever they thought someone was about to announce they had one or two to sell.

Unlike the others, though, I could not bring myself to stick up a finger in the air high over my head, the international hippie sign for "I need an extra 'cuz I was either too lazy to buy a ticket or I spent all my money on veggie burritos, patchouli and nitrous." I always felt weird holding up my finger at sold-out shows, so I sure as shit wasn't doing it outside a swanky bar in TriBeCa.

So Lukas and I didn't scramble, and thus, we were back at his apartment hangin' with his girlfriend by 10 pm. Ahh, maybe our loss, but I went home okay...I still slept well last night. Besides, what the fuck was everyone doing down here? What'd be going on inside? I haven't paid a cover at a bar in years, was this thing really worth $15 for entry? The large crowd had assembled for a listening party?

"The fourth LIVE PHISH CD Release Party takes place on the eve of the release at the Canal Room in New York City on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 and will feature exclusive music and video from the Live Phish Island Tour releases plus vintage tracks, rare video and stills from the Phish Archives. Phish Archivist Kevin Shapiro will be on hand to DJ the event, with visuals presented by James Olness & J.O.E. Lightshow."

We probably could have waited out the line and gone in at some point. We probably could have scoured the two-block radius for extras. We probably could have done a lot of things to get into an event that seemed pretty cool and has been getting rave reviews on the boards. But in the end, I thought it would be much more fun to stand in the humid and stanky New York streets for an hour before retiring to Lukas' to watch Wayne Franklin deliver a two-run homerun to Hank Blalock, dropping the Yank'ums out of first after only one night on top. Yeah, that was much more fun.

Instead of listening to some incredible soundboard versions of rare cuts and previously unseen videos from the band's archives (including a 1989 Icculus and a kickass Drowned > After Midnight from Big Cypress), I spent much of the night waiting in the velvet ropes. Then I got Indiana Jones-ed inside the Hindenburg: "No ticket."

Oh well...best not think to deeply on this one.

Slack Song of the Day: From the greatest free music site I've ever seen, here's an hour of Traffic from 2/21/72. And here's some more Traffic from 4/2/73.

Slack Boob Story of the Day: "A Russian tennis player and French Open winner cannot stop a New York photographer from distributing topless pictures taken of her during a magazine photo session in the summer of 2002, a federal judge says."

Slack Heroic Link of the Day: You can call this guy a cut-throat dick all you want, but it's what you do when it counts that matters. So while he may be a thorn in the side of league owners everywhere and he may be "what's wrong" with the state of sports today, Drew Rosenhaus deserves a parade and a medal for what he did yesterday. That's just top-notch stuff right there, great work.

7 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous handstand said...

I've heard the sound system in the canal room is like no other, so I'm sure it would have kicked ass to hear these shows pumped through that place.

However, it won't be better than my own personal listening party today, the second I get home from work.

Download. Play. Recline. Yankees.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Yeah, handstand, I said that outside the joint last night...I can be doing this in my own apartment on my couch. But there's something about a party at a bar with all like-minded people that sounded appealing.

I'm genuinely surprised there was no grilled cheese for sale.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

Did you anyone notice the link on that tennis player/boob story page to the right? Under "images in the news" it has a bunch of pics of a chic taking her clothes off in court.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Alias, GREAT CALL! That's classic.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

well, i dont have much to say about any of that, besides wishing that lil kid that rosenhaus saved had gotten up, and then choked drew out til he got javon walker to stop holding out, but here's an entertaining read about the worst wrestling angles of all time, whihc is certainly debatable. i may have gone with Doink the clown, and his midget son/friend/lover or whatever the hell he was Dink

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=dursin/050720

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger ethan said...

although franklin is better than freakshow felix heredia, it may be worth considering bringing in the big unit to get lefties out in the late innings. he throws in between starts on the side anyway...

and yes, this is my 3rd day at work and first with a computer.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Been a busy day, I'll check out that article later, poophop. But from the looks of it, that's a great column idea.

Ethan, congrats on the new job. Sucks to be a member of the workforce, dun't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home