Monday, August 08, 2005

Foyt and Futility

So not only does SportsCenter feel compelled to shove Bryan Adams at us three times per show every single night, now it feels an obligation to lead off the 11 pm flagship episode with NASCAR racing highlights. That's inappropriate, that's inexcusable, that I don't forgive.

The saving grace of the coverage of the Allstate 400 was NASCAR reporter Mike Masaro's last item. He said racecar legend AJ Foyt, who has something to do with Stewart apparently, could not be there to watch the race from the Brickyard. My thoughts immediately went to a sickbed, a deathbed, an old man falling down. But why couldn't he watch the race? A swarm of 200 bees stung him and his eyes were swollen shut. Now, THAT should've been the lead on SportsCenter.

Of course, I've been looking for this story online, and I can't find it. So maybe I just made it up. But I don't think I did. Was it wrong to giggle like a schoolgirl and yell "Holy balls" when I heard that news?

In other (more important) sports news, the Padres won three games this weekend to make it four straight victories, pushing the Pods one game over .500. And that's terrible, because as you can see from the standings, the NL West is making an awesome and unprecedented run at futility. Jayson Stark's latest Useless Info column has a ton of goodies on this awful group of teams, including this gem:

"How bizarre is this division? The last-place team (the Rockies) had the second-worst record in the entire sport through Thursday (39-68). But they still were closer to first place (13½ games) than the Indians, Twins or Cubs -- three teams that still have realistic shots to win the wild card."

Stark doesn't stop there with his remarkable research...from his Top 10 Useless Nuggets addendum: "The Giants' Brad Hennessey twirled seven shutout innings in a 3-0 blanking of the Brewers on July 28. But that wasn't the big news. The big news was that he also drove in all three runs himself.

His pitching line: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
His hitting line: 3 AB, 1 R, 1 H, 3 RBI, 1 HR


So how rare is it to have a pitcher hit a three-run homer for all three runs in a 3-0 shutout? According to Elias, only one other guy had ever done it. And that was Al Orth of the Phillies -- more than a century ago (on May 31, 1900)."

Slack Song of the Day: Since Lukas and I met up with EB & Friends to see the Redheaded Fuckface on Saturday night -- we'll get to that later today, sorry non-music lovers -- here's a link to the A/V Room on Trey's website, where you can download versions of Drifting (one of my favorite Trey tunes), Mr. Completely (a very good tune) and Money, Love and Change (a fairly decent tune and Saturday's opener).

Let's all get ready for some Grade-A Trey-bashing...

Slack Obit of the Day: I can't believe Peter Jennings died. I never really watched ABC News all that often, but for anyone that watched Jeopardy! religiously always saw him for at least a couple minutes every day. Peter was a great journalist and, from what I read, a great man...so here's to that.

10 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

What's up Ace? Hope you enjoyed that Trey show as much as I did. I had to leave those seats when the Jones Beach Seat Gestapo booted me out of the orchestra, but it was still a great time!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I gotta tell ya, offpeak, I really didn't enjoy it as much as you. I had a ball -- the day/night was amazing, sitting on the beach, in the lot, good times. And there was some killer musical highlights, don't get me wrong. Trey with Warren and then Warren with Trey, plus the acoustic setbreak, were worth the price of admission alone.

But some of those new songs are terrrrrrible. I really disliked four of his new tunes, and if that's the direction of the band, I'm skeptical of his future.

Still, I had a great time, and of course I'll continue to pump money into his bank account/heroin pile.

Full review shortly.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

I thought some of the new songs were pretty weak, but could develop, a couple of them had some good peaks, especially in comparison to the new songs at Hammerstein; but at the same time some of the new songs sounded like cheesy popsongs. The second set was far better than the first and brought much more energy. I definately don't see them as a band I would follow around, but I would see them anytime they come to NY.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

"I definately don't see them as a band I would follow around, but I would see them anytime they come to NY."

Exactly. I agree completely, except for your spelling of definitely.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

i am sad about the death of peter jennings. of all the new anchors he was my favorite; seemed the most genuine. he's a great american, even though he's canadian.

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous handstand said...

I'll never forget his millenium broadcast when he introduced "the phish" at the big cypress seminole indian reservation.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

That's right...that clip got a lot of Internets play.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

I;m sorry to here that he died, but let's face it, he was no Brokaw.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

I'm also sorry to find out that apparently I can't spell.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Sorry to go back on-topic here, but I'd like to say that I'm with Ace all the way on SportsCenter NASCAR highlights. I don't think the folks at ESPN understand that although NASCAR has devoted fans, it also has a lot of people who despise it so much that they change the channel the minute it's mentioned.

Also, kudos to Brad Hennessey on an incredible accomplishment. I'm a big fan of pitchers who can hit, and I hate the fact that so few people even seem to care whether a pitcher can hit. It makes a difference, people. Even if your pitcher only creates a few more runs with his bat than an average pitcher, sometimes a few runs make a difference in a division race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home