Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Semantics

Someone just posted this on the Internets, I thought it was fairly ridiculous...click on the picture below to enlarge it.


So the black people are "looting" shit, the white people are "finding" shit. That's just classic right there.

You can make the case this is a style thing, considering the captions come from two different sources. But even if it's not overtly racist, it's still a pretty interesting graphic. And just to show this photo set wasn't doctored in any way, here are the two pics separately (top pic, bottom pic).

For the record, I'm more than okay with white and black people alike "finding" all the food and water they can -- if any edible food still exists -- but when they start stealing jewelry and carjacking folks, then I don't mind if the police shoot them in the face ala Marvin.

Good luck down there, hopefully help is on the way.

Slack Hurricane-related Songs of the Day: Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks, Bob Dylan's acoustic Down in the Flood (Crash on the Levee) and electric Hurricane, The Band w/ Bobby Charles on Down South in New Orleans, Johnny Cash's Five Feet High and Rising, String Cheese Incident's 100 Year Flood, The Who's Drowned, and finally, The Animals' House of the Rising Sun.

8 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous K Wynn said...

For some strange reason I can't get Don McLean's American Pie out of my head.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I'm not even making this up, but I've been singing the theme from Good Times all morning. At one point I looked up and asked my asst, "Um, have I been singing Good Times out loud this whole time?" The answer was yes.

Temporary layoffs, GOOD TIMES! Easy levee breakage, GOOD TIMES!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

you should add the Scorpions' Rock You Like a Hurricane to today's song list. Those captions are nuts. Racism spans from the living room to the dining room...

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Couldn't find it. I tried.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

May I also suggest this, from some native orleaners:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/betterthanezra/kingofneworleans.html

Can't find a music file, unfortunately.

My Ipod shuffle was giving me water songs all morning. Moses by Coldplay, the afformentioned KONO, Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism, Radiohead's Pyramid Song, and then I was off the train. It was frickin' weird.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger jakezebra said...

It's also racist to think that black people have to walk in the water. Skin color has no bearing on wading ability.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Dark Canuck said...

Don't forget your Canadian friends in the north and add Tragically Hip's "New Orleans is Sinking (and I don't want to swim)"

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Sounds good, Canuck, although I'm not familiar with the tune...I'll have to try and find some lyrics or an mp3 link for ya.

Some of your bretheren got me really into the Hip one summer, but that faded fast. And hey, I already gave you Canadians a plug with The Band (though I left out Neil Young's Like a Hurricane).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home