Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Get Yer Post-Hurricane Freebies

One of the things I enjoyed most after 9/11 that helped me reconcile my shaken sense of humanity was the outpouring of support and service from local folks who wanted to help out any way they could. The lines to give blood were long and lengthy, New Yorkers went down to Ground Zero to feed and hydrate the police and firefighters searching for survivors, people offered up rooms in their apartments, clothes and money and whatever else they could give.

We've seen it many times before and many times after, but that's the time it really hit home for me what it means to be a good samaritan. Not just in the abstract, but in real life. That's why this story intrigued me so much:

"A doctor has offered to perform free abortions on hurricane evacuees, saying it may be too dangerous for them to wait until they return home...

'If we didn't provide it now, they would get it later — a late-term abortion that would give greater risk to the mother's health,' Edwards told KTHV-TV in Little Rock." [More]

Good for the doc, trying to lend his helping hand and rusty hanger to serve the displaced women who need his help. I'm sure his clinic will be bombed by the morning, so get 'em while they're hot.

**And speaking of right-wing motherfuckers bombing abortion clinics, everybody's favorite criminal representative Tom DeLay was just indicted, which means he'll likely be forced to give up his House leadership position.

This just in as I type -- he's (temporarily) stepping down after all. I'm not only rooting for this guy to lose his seat altogether, I'm rooting for some hardcore fuck-me-in-the-ass prison time. I have respect for just as many Republicans as Democrats these days -- some make total sense even though I may disagree with them -- but this guy is a total slimedouche. Good riddance, you putz.**

11 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger David Amulet said...

Well said -- it looks like Delay is getting his due for playing politics the dirty way. I agree with you, there is plenty of slime on both sides of the aisle ... and I, for one, can't find any significant difference in the number of criminals, sleezebags, and hypocrites within the two major parties.

Fun blog, keep it up!

David Amulet

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

wait, I'm confused, women normally pay to be pushed down the stairs?

**phone rings**
JZEEB: hello?
DEVIL: this is the devil, nice job on that joke

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I hope he does jailtime. He's a waste of space. I hope his temporary stepdown is as long as Bud Selig's temporary commisionership.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger MDS said...

DeLay is toast in politics. When he redesigned the Texas districts, he gerrymandered most of his fellow incumbents into safe districts, but he gave himself an evenly split district because he was so arrogant he never thought he could lose. He won 55-45 last time. So even if he doesn't end up in jail, all it takes is one out of every 10 people who voted for him in '04 to decide they don't want a guy who was indicted representing him. I think that can happen.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Nice, way to go, Zeebs.

So apparently David Dreier is taking over, and he's no picnic. I really dislike this guy -- he's just as big an asshat.

I'm actually very curious to see how the homophobia-plagued right wing is going to reconcile the fact that Dreier is a now-outed closet homosexter with the fact that they hate gay people. As long as he votes with them, I think they'll conveniently forget about the fact that they hate his core being.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Jason Mulgrew said...

Look, I will personally punch those women in the stomach - hard - for free. Actually, for only $15. Only a few bucks more than free and much less invasive.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

About that Selig comment...I learned something interesting in sports law...when Selig became temporary commish, the #2 choice was none other than George W. As it turns out, the MLB deemed George W. "was not really fit to be occupying the Commissioner's office." Only at that point did W embark on his political career. Dammit Selig, couldn't you have spared us all a whole lot of problems and let W become commish?

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

I forgot to finish my post before...it's great to see our Majority Leader indicted. Next up comes Bill Frist who somehow forgot that a blind trust was supposed to be unseen. We've got a bunch of dumbasses leading our country, the leader of whom was considered too much of a dumbass to lead MLB. How did they get it right and our country got it so wrong?

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger ethan said...

prior going into politics, didn't bush fail in his businesses as well (texas rangers, whatever oil company)?

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Unbelievable...the baseball owners who rejected him are responsible for this muck of a presidency. Of course they're all probably Republicans who love this guy. O ye twists of fate!

The first class I ever walked into freshman year was a political science course taught by a cool, young guy. On that first day of class, he proclaimed George W Bush would be the next president of the United States. This was September 1997, years before anyone really knew who he was.

An interesting postscript -- the prof later killed himself, before W ever got elected in the first place.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger MDS said...

In a related story, I contemplated killing myself right after Bush got elected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home