Wednesday, September 07, 2005

My Sunday Squad

There's nothing better than a fantasy draft.

I'm much more in love with the baseball season and its all-day, 33-round draft, but football is right up there on the list of concepts that make my life immensely better. I hadn't exactly done my research properly, despite having about 2 months to get my shit together. But with the number one pick, it's hard to plan ahead.

As expected, I took LaDainian Tomlinson with the first overall pick. Then I had to wait 19 excruciating picks before I could advance my strategy of picking another running back and my first wide receiver, then another 19 to pick a few more receivers. Well, I executed my plan perfectly, and even lucked out with Clinton Portis at #20 overall, but I'm not sure whether I picked the right guys after that. I've got a team of serious wild cards.

After I selected LT, all hell broke loose. A homer Lions fan took second-year running back Kevin Jones with the second overall pick, when it was quite likely he'd have been on the board at #19 coming back the other way. I like Kevin Jones -- I like him, like him -- and I think there's a legit possibility he'll be a Top Five running back this season, but that's just a waste of a pick right there. The only dumber decision all night was me not taking rookie kicker Mike Nugent because I already had too many Jets.

Still, I like my team, mostly because my starting lineup is loaded with great ghetto-fabulous first names like LaDainian, Laveraneus and Anquan, as well as blue-blood kind of names like Carson and Sebastian and Clinton (even though Clinton's blacker than most blue-bloods and Sebastian's filled with more GHB than most).

And I've been Laveraneus Coles' biggest fan of all time for years. Now I have Coles back in my life, both on the Jets and on my fantasy team, which allows me to sing the Notorious B.I.G. song at all times this season: La-La-La-Laveraneus.

Here's my 2005 Double Wing (Double Wing) fantasy football squad. Keep in mind the starting lineup is one QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, D and one non-RB Flex position:

QB: Carson Palmer (6th round, 60th overall)
RB: L. Tomlinson (1, 1)
RB: Clinton Portis (2, 20)
WR: Chad Johnson (3, 21)
WR: L. Coles (4, 40)
WR: Michael Clayton (5, 41)
TE: Chris Cooley (14, 140)
K: Sebastian Janikowski (17, 161)
D: Jets D (8, 80)
Flex: Anquan Boldin (7, 61)

Bench: JJ Arrington (9, 81)
B: Byron Leftwich (10, 100)
B: Keary Colbert (11, 101)
B: Brandon Stokley (12, 120)
B: Travis Henry (13, 121)
B: Derrick Blaylock (15, 141)
B: Kyle Orton (16, 160)

I'm pretty excited here. I think it's easy to look at that team and be a little worries, but I'd be long on DW (DW) if I were a betting man. I've got a deep bench with some young talented dudes and potential impact players, a handful of playmakers in my starting lineup, unknown commodities with big years ahead like Chris Cooley (mark those palabras) and more than a few value picks like Portis at #20 and Orton and Janikowski with my last two picks.

My prediction: Jets win the Super Bowl and I win the Everybody Loves a Fat Ming Fantasy Football League. Done and done.

Slack Song of the Day: I've been hearing some really good things about The Maji -- sure, it's mainly from people that know them personally, but hey, word of mouth has to start somewhere. Fresh off their dyn-o-mite set at this weekend's Hookahville, The Maji & Company proudly present Harvest Jam 2005 on the last weekend of September. So if you're anywhere near Kirkersville, Ohio from September 29 - October 1, that's the place to be.

Anyway, the sound might not be the greatest (it's closer to awful), but click here to stream a pretty good show from July 27, 2005 at Elbo's in Dayton, which includes a Loving Cup and a Whipping Post among the many originals (setlist).

9 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Mike Southwest said...

I love when the Yankees play the Devil Rays this year, they seem to fuck it up somehow. At least the Sox took care of business againt the pesky Rays!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

But most of the Sawx players also blow homeless men for cash. So...

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Wait, is that wrong? If so, my weekends are over.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger poophopanonymous22 said...

wouldnt be a wednesday afternoon without a jets winning the super bowl prediction from the cowgirl. good luck with all that

i cant imagine the roar your draft must have made after Kevin Jones went #2, that must have been fun

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Michael Clayton was a steal at No. 41 overall. Well done.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

It was an online draft...so the Kevin Jones reaction was muted. I drafted at a rival owner's place, and I had him type in "Great pick."

I hope Clayton pays off...between him and Portis at #20 (I still can't believe he dropped that low, it's ludicrous speed to me), I think I got some great value. But I probably reached on Coles at 40, so it all evens out.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I love KJ, but that's really stupid.

That's a great squad, top to bottom. I'd feel pretty confident too. I'm sort of lukewarm on my teams.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Thanks Noonan...I'm definitely pumped, but a lot of wild cards on the squad. And I'm loaded with Bengals, Jets and Skins.

I honestly think KJ is gonna be sick this season...but #2 overall is almost as laughable as Marshall Faulk's current draft status. I feel bad for that guy!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger ethan said...

for two years i lived 15 minutes from elbo's. i only went there once, and that was to eat chinese food. the place is called elbo's and chin's, with "chin's" dominating the sign, but i obviously didn't get no kung pow chicken (sorry to go all mikey cameron on you there).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home