Thursday, October 06, 2005

Band Name Project Reprise

A nice fella named Tom e-mailed me last week after stumbling across an old post from June 2004. That post, Band Name Project, lists a handful of the many funny names we've come up with over the past few years. In it, I wrote "If you have one that you'd like to add to our short list, either post a comment or e-mail slacklalane@yahoo.com."

So Tom did just that, e-mailing me to inform the Slack Community about his new (non-existent)band. "Right now it's just me performing my a capella take on a Pantera-Bobby McFerren fusion project," Tom said. The awesome band name he came up with: Womb Raider. Perfect stuff. Kudos, Tom, good luck with the band.

Here are some of the ones mentioned in that old June 2004 post, and a few more thrown in for good measure:

Slow Children, Two-Hour Parking, Omnipotent Vagina, Third Hand Smoke, Intentionally Old Strippers, Chicken Gyro, IntraVenus Williams, Stabbing Monica Seles, Raisinless Bran, Forgotten Walnuts, Freezing in Fleece, Derivation of Dutch, Chaco's Headbands, Reverse Peristalsis, Stuttering Gobbler, Moderate Sprawling, Tanyon Sturtze, That's No Gouda, Human Rectum and Adolph Oliver Nipples. And of course I've always been partial to one I saw on Mulgrew's site last year -- Pontius Pilate and the Nail Driving Five.

Who's got my heady band name? One-for-three, two-for-five. Sound off in the comments below.

Slack Video of the Day: This isn't terribly funny, but it's a well done video montage of the president and his newest nomination for the Supreme Court. ("Not so much a montage..." -- what movie?)

Slack Link of the Day: And speaking of Miers, check out David Sirota's excellent work on the Miers nomination, digging deep into the Federalist Papers (#76, that's a good one) to expose why choosing her was a tremendous mistake in judgment by the president.

Slack Song of the Day: I think Mulgrew once put this up on his site under the Six Songs category, but it's been on of my favorites for a long time. And while it's a bit, I don't know, slow and cheesy, it's the best Blind Melon song in the annals, if you ask me.

So here's Change. Why not some No Rain as well? Good, settled.

(And here's some good trivia -- what very famous American band almost called themselves Mythical Ethical Icicle Tricycle?)

27 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Justin said...

The Band?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Worst. Band. Name. Ever.

String Cheese Incident.

I'm sorry, it's true.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

The beleive the artists formerly known as the Warlocks passed on that title.

A reference noticeably absent from the smash musical hit of the summer "Shakedown Street."

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

Wow, not only did I manage to say "the believe" instead of "I believe" but I spelled believe wrong too.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

And he's in law school, folks...America's brilliant minds at work.

Kenny wins Part II of today's trivia, that was one of the names suggested for the Grateful Dead after the relinquished the moniker "The Warlocks."

Part I of the trivia, anyone? What movie is "Not so much a montage" from? AGU's favorite movie line of all time, I think.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous HANDSTAND said...

Poolside Orgy

Its been my fantasy baseball team name in my work league for five years now, but it could probably double as a hot band name.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Schiavo's Last Stand

Dingleberry Soup

V-Greasers

Rae Carruth's Trunk

Heart of Caminiti

The Angry Dragons

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

Personal favorite:

Kathleen Turner Overdrive.

Can't take credit for it though.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I thought I was pretty cool when I came up with the band name Urethra Franklin shortly after learning about the urethra in sex ed. A few years ago, I learned that there actually is (or was) a band with that name. The coolest band name ever, real or made-up, has to be Ally McBeelzebub, a "blistering quasi-punk surf jockey death metal-core" act out of Austin.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best band name ever: Misery Loves Chachi

'Nuff said.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger The Bourbon Samurai said...

My friend from high school was in bands called "Fizzy Lifting Drinks" and "Hot Pepper Suppositories"

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Nice, these are all fantastic...the real and the fake.

I like Misery Loves Chachi a lot.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Great band name: Asphyxiated Rabid Coyote.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

Christian's a Cake Boy.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Justin said...

LOL, Misery Loves Chachi.

I watched Dodgeball last night and the part where Stiller nails the kid in the face and shouts, "Joannie loves Chachi" is just fantastic.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

I hear there's new track out called "Countin' money all my life" by Mr. Hooper's City Hands.

They're going on tour with Quint and the Town Council.

Coming soon to an island near you.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Jason Mulgrew said...

I like:

Big Ron and The Pillheads

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

St. Alban and the Handguns

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Bronko Nagurski and the Nagasaki Quintet.

The Confederate Tapir Method

Shaved Finger Fulcrum Womyn

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

Your Handwriting Stinks

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I think we should purposefully mess up the grammar -- how bout:

You're Handwriting Stinks

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger MDS said...

The answer to the trivia question is Clueless, although I believe the line is actually "Not exactly a montage."

I saw Clueless with dhodge in the theater the day it came out. Little did we know we'd be posting comments on the same blog 10 years later. Little did we know that there'd be an invention called blogs and that on that invention there'd be comments, for that matter.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Chefra said...

Fuckin' Awesome.
A little bold, but still a great name that my friends and I go by when we get a little drunk and there happens to be musical instruments and a crowd around.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

MDS, you got it...and damn, AGU's had the line wrong for 10 years. Learn something new every day, even if it is about a teenybopper movie from the mid-90s. Paul Rudd owns.

What's a blog?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger The Bourbon Samurai said...

I had a bunch of actor friends who were in a bluegrass band called "The Grass Menagerie"

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I once heard of a strip club called The Ass Menagerie. And another one called The Grope-acabana.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

Futbol Jonah and the Bad Fake Aces

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jonah_freedman/10/06/world.rankings/index.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home