Thursday, October 27, 2005

Exiting the QuagMiers

In a bit of breaking news, Harriet Beecher Miers has asked the president to take back his nomination of her for the Supreme Court. The White House says it "reluctantly" accepted, which I think is code word for "danced a jig like a giddy elder."

Am I the only person who thinks this is a really, really bad situation for secular and/or liberal folks? Who was most behind her withdrawal? The ultra-conservatives and religious right. So who's most likely going to be at the top of the list? Some judge that the fucking nutbars sign off on and all but hand-pick. I am not looking forward to these next few weeks.

And by the way, is it just me or did Harriet Miers look like a Rachel Dratch character?

6 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

You've got this one pegged. I was torn on supporting her for the reason you mentioned. She was the most likely person to end up as a wishy-washy liberal type justice that Bush will nominate, but she was clearly unqualified.

His next nominee will almost certainly be an archconservative type. I wish she would have at least lasted through some senate hearings. That would have been hilarious.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

This was a BRILLIANT strategerie on the part of the White House...

Nominate someone who would piss off the hard right and leave the left uninspired, let that person withdraw their nomination and put a hardcore conservative d-bag in his or her place. This was very well choreographed...

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

The stupid/brilliant dichotomy in the White House seems to be truly inspired. It's like George is Inspector Gadget, and Condi is Penny, and Karl Rove is Brain, the dog, working to keep Uncle Gadget on the winning side in spite of himself.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger MDS said...

I wanted Miers to be confirmed for exactly the reasons you guys have stated. I'd much rather have an unqualified fool like Miers than another Scalia. It's a shame that it's come to this, but it has.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

i agree with all of you (and marvin). this can only mean trouble. miers definitely looks like a mix between dratch and the emperor from star wars.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

I'm glad she's gone. If for no other reason than the Federalist Paper #76 (which I learned about on these here blogs) in which Hamilton clearly stated nominees should not be family friends.

I, for one, started writhing on the ground in pain yelling "no, bad, no" when I heard Bush saying, "I know her heart."

I'm tired of these f*ckers f*cking with this country's framers. The Patriot Act, threatening frivolous constitutional amendments and the list goes on. It doesn't even matter that I disagree with their politics. That's not the point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home