Monday, October 03, 2005

Last AD Ever?

This show is like Rasputin...it just won't die, but that's not for lack of asshats trying to kill it.

According to Friday's San Francisco Chronicle:

Arrested Development -- The funniest show on television is all but dead. There's no official announcement yet, but all the signs are there, and if this short-lived thing of beauty even manages to deliver half of a season, consider that a sanctioned-by-Rome miracle.

The ratings are abysmal. Fewer than 4 million viewers, which puts it in cable territory. Despite what may have been one of its funniest episodes ever in the first week, nobody watched. This past Monday, even fewer people watched. So much for Emmy power. So much for Charlize Theron as a cameo draw.

I doubt they'd just yank the best show on television after a mere three episodes of its critically-acclaimed third season, but anything's possible. My question is, why wouldn't they just switch it over to F/X if it's getting cable-type ratings? So frustrating.

6 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger The Bourbon Samurai said...

That always seems odd to me that networks are never willing to move programs to a network that might fit better-Sci-Fi channel couldn't have used Firefly, for example?

I wonder if the production costs for AD are too high for a cable show.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Ughh. Sometimes I think it might be too smart for its own good.

I've heard rumors that HBO is offering to pick it up should Fox kill it, but that, somewhat paradoxically, the DVD revenue that would be lost to Fox in such a transfer could be a stumbling block. I also don't know how reliable my source on this is, but he seems to know stuff about entertainment news before I do on a regular basis. It also seems to me that nailing down a figure for DVD revenue is a rather simple matter.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Can it be THAT much more expensive to make than Nip/Tuck? Not sure the answer.

Screw DVD sales, this show needs a home. I love the fact that people call it "too smart for TV." What an awful world we've entered when a television show can be too smart for people. How difficult can it be too grasp that humor?!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger MDS said...

I don't watch Arrested Development, but many of my friends love it, and I've always wondered the same thing: Wouldn't it be a natural for F/X? I'd bet anything it costs about the same as The Shield. I can't imagine that Jason Bateman draws a much bigger salary than Michael Chiklis, and they must have put down a pretty big chunk of change to get Glenn Close.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

I don't know if I would describe it as "too smart" or just silly enough.

"Michael vowed never to be caught off guard again."

Gee hee. Still giggling.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger John Howard said...

I don't like it, but if they put it on HBO, I'd probably watch it. Any show is better when the characters can say fuck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home