Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Nostalgia Night

Full review coming later, but for now this picture of Cream is all you're getting. Rumor has it, tomorrow and Wednesday they'll be playing under the name "Clapton and Corpses." Jack and Ginger haven't played this poorly since the cotton gin was invented.


Reviews of last night's show: Ben Ratliff of the New York Times; Dan Aquilante of the New York Post; Joan Anderman of the Boston Globe; Where’s Eric! portal

Slack Song of the Day: For the second day in a row, let's make today's songs based on last night's show -- so here's my absolute favorite Clapton tune, Badge. That was followed last night by Politician, a great one-two punch. And because they played Tales of Brave Ulysses for the first time ever last night, you get that one too.

8 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

Ace, did you know that the title of your fav Clapton tune comes from its chord progression (b-a-d-g-e)? At least, that's what I've heard.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous handstand said...

You really thought they played badly? Jeez. I thought Jack's voice sounded pretty good given his age and although Ginger didn't really do anything to stand out, his drum solo at the end was pretty nasty.

Perhaps they suffer from Eric Clapton being so ridiculously good.

You are a harsh critic my friend.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Thanks, hodge. But it's not true...that's just an urban legend. In actuality, is was a misunderstanding between Clapton and bestie Geroge Harrison -- the song said "Bridge," and Clapton thought it said "Badge," and it stuck. Or something.

"You know about AC/DC Bag, brahhh?"

Handstand, I didn't think they played badly at all, that was just a joke. I just sent you an email, actually, at the same time you posted this.

I'll have my review up in a bit, but I had a great time last night. I just didn't think it was an amazing show. It was a nostalgia act, which is fine, that's what I expected.

That drum solo was far from nasty. About half way through I thought he was gonna keel over...

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Jason Mulgrew said...

They've played "Ulysees" live before. I have it a live version of it on CD.

And Ace, you're right about the "Badge" thing. Apparently, in addition to being dead, George Harrison has really bad handwriting.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

You may be right, Muldoon, but the NY Times article has this:

("Tales of Brave Ulysses" was the only surprise, a deviation from the new live album. "Never before done onstage," Eric Clapton declared when it was finished.)

I didn't hear Clapton say that, but I'm sure he did. Unless Times reporter Jayson Blair worked on this piece.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll never trust classic rock DJs again.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

I think what Clapton may have meant to say was, "Never before done onstage when I wasn't on heroin." Or something.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Very very possible, Gypsy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home