Wednesday, November 23, 2005

$13K Well Spent

I often joke that half of my disposable income for a few years went directly to the popular rock band Phish's coffers. Well, not just to the band in the form of tickets, live music downloads and other assorted sundries, but also to the airlines that brought me to shows, the companies that sell blank CDs and tapes, and the local communities where the concerts -- nay, events -- took place.

Nevertheless, I consider every dime well spent, and I wouldn't change a damn thing. I feel as though I've been lucky to have seen that band in 13 states and the District of Columbia, that I'm not in debt, that I still have some cash saved up and I now possess a lifetime of crystal-clear memories out of the haze, memories to make me smile whenever I feel nostalgic.

So I kind of understand what the following chick is talking about... but, then again, Phish is Phish and Hanson is, um, Hanson. Even though Dead guitarist Bob Weir played with the brotherly trio back in 1999, I'm not sure they're quite heady enough to warrant this behavior. Still, I ain't judging, whatever makes you happy, you have to go and do it. Do it.

From this article, MMMWhy:
Such a vantage point wouldn’t cut it for Nicole Sipple. The 22-year-old record store cashier from Philadelphia says that she has run up more than $13,000 in credit card debt attending more than 170 Hanson shows.

“It doesn’t really worry me as much as it probably should,” says Sipple, who attended her first Hanson show in 1998. “If they stopped playing for like a year, I could easily pay that off.”

Sipple plans to attend all 23 shows on the band’s current tour. She says that her family generally disapproves of her habit but has learned to put up with it.

Wow, $13,000 on 170 shows and plenty more coming up. That's a fucking super-fan. The more I think about it, the more I'm on board with this girl. See and do what you love while you can.

Suprisingly, Glen Quagmire was unavailable for comment, but I did overhear this conversation on my drive through Quahog:

Peter: If you could be stranded on a desert island with any woman in the world, who would it be?
Quagmire: Taylor Hanson.
Joe: Taylor Hanson is a guy.
Quagmire: [Laughs] You guys are yankin' me. "Hey, let's put one over on Quagmire."
Peter: No, he's actually a guy, Quagmire.
Quagmire: What? That's insane. That's impossible. [Pause] Oh God. Oh my God. I've got all these magazines. Oh God.

12 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I hope (but doubt) that she's a clerk at a used/hipster record store and is only enjoying Hanson ironically.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Johnny5I'mAlive said...

Hanson fans really are a dedicated bunch. I was at the bar ajacent to Irving Plaza late last summer and saw a row of fans with ther tents, sleeping bags and lawn chairs lines up for what we thought was a late-night ticket sale for some concert. As it turned out everyone camped out already had tickets to the next night's Hanson show and were sleeping on the grimey NYC street for a shot at front row in the GA venue.

We took a bunch of pictures with them and giggled at their band of choice.

All I could think about was those kids wasting a night and an entire day waiting online for a show only to get inside and loose their spot because of a bathroom break.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

I didn't know Hideki Matsui was such a Hanson fan.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Trix said...

I prefer the Backstreet Boys.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Johnny5I'mAlive said...

This thread is lacking a Saved By the Bell reference. "All in the Mall" was one of the series' best episodes.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Goddamn, Donnie's joke may be understood by about two and a half people, but that's hysterical.

I don't make fun of the Hanson crowd -- I mean, I'm sure everyone I know said that about the Phish folk...it's just a matter of to each his own.

You know what's amazing about "All in the Mall"? That episode was like 13 or 14 years ago, and they were scalping tickets to go see the hottest band around -- U2. You could probably do a similar episode today and the band they would be seeing could still be U2! Staying power.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

When I hear record store clerk, I think Jack Black in High Fidelity. Sort of the anti-Hanson.

You have no credibility where Saved by the Bell is concerned.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Chefra said...

In high school I was at the Paramus Park Mall and Hanson was doing a little performance for Z100 in the foodcourt. It was a mob scene. Screaming girls, crying dudes(no shit), it was crazy. I think their performance lasted all of 2 minutes and they practically had to shut the mall down. Don't sleep on Hanson. That was the last time I cried for any band.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

My favorite thing about the Hanson brothers is when they put on the foil before a peformance.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I find it extremely hard to believe that a record store clerk could easily pay off $13,000 in credit card debt. Maybe she means her parents will pay it off for her or something.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous HANDSTAND said...

I love performing with my brothers.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This girl is a tool. Fans can't stand her and Hanson thinks she is a creeper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home