Monday, November 14, 2005

Because You're Mine...

An snazzy young lady invited me to the New York premiere of the new Johnny Cash picture Walk the Line last night, a ridiculously planned and star-studded event at the Beacon Theater.

The photogs clicked and creamed as Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix walked the black carpet (a clever touch) into the theater, joined by a slew of country singers like LeAnn Rimes and other members of the Hollywood elite. I signed a few autographs, as people mistook me for the kid from Big.

It's been reported both Jessica Alba and Chloe Sevigny were in attendance, but I didn't see 'em. Instead I saw Topher Grace...from afar. We upgraded our seats from the top balcony to the bottom level, where I did get within 10 feet of a re-blonded Reese and her hubby Ryan, but my companion took most of the fun out of it by screaming and jumping and generally stalking the talent. I'm pretty sure the couple walked through the theater and promptly left.

The movie itself was pretty damn good, and as most reviews have said, Reese definitely steals the film. Seriously, she was unbelievable, it just may have topped her role in Legally Blonde 2. Phoenix is good, too, but the chica gives the tour de force performance here.

My only complaint is the exact same one I made after seeing Ray: I would have loved it if they focused on his music just a little bit more. Nobody told me the entire movie was a love story with some pill-poppin' abuse thrown in the mix. They did show him writing "Folsom Prison Blues," one of the greatest songs ever penned, but other than that, the rest of his music hung in the periphery while they spotlighted the troubled love of Johnny and June.

You know what, now that I think about it, they showed plenty of his music. I guess I'm tough to please when it comes to biopics. I personally probably would have preferred if they just showed two hours of him live at Folsom Prison with an occasional snippet of his life thrown in for good measure.

Either way, see the film. You'll enjoy it.

Other weekend notes
--I overheard the line of the weekend on my way to meet the high school friends on Saturday night. Passing by the Peculier Pub on Bleecker, a blonde girl looking disgusted said to her two companions: "If he calls me Sarah one more time, I'm gonna kick him in the balls."

--I enjoyed some great college football action this weekend, aside from the Ohio State-Northwestern game, which I think may have been cancelled. The #5 LSU/#3 Alabama contest went into overtime, ending when JaMarcus Russell threw a TD pass in the first overtime.

CBS showed a section of yellowed LSU fans that made the trip to Tuscaloosa, all of whom were celebrating wildly the incredible victory their team just snatched. Interestingly, and clear as day, they showed two fratty guys in the middle of the thrilled section locked in a warm embrace. Then the two kissed -- first it was just a peck, then a very passionate kiss on the mouth.

I TiVoed back, to confirm what I had seen, and my roommates reacted as if Joe Theismann's tibia was sticking out the front of his leg. I simply laughed, having just thought it made for a funny moment caught on live television that 99.44% of the country missed. It's not like two characters on Will & Grace were making out, these were two dudes who probably beat up them queers on campus locked in a sloppy wet kiss in front of a national TV audience. Hope your folks get bad reception on CBS back home. I say good for you, kiddos.

--The two football teams I root for every week, Northwestern and the Jets, lost by a combined 78-10 score this weekend.

--I pretty much re-built all of Slack LaLane this weekend, after I accidentally erased much of the template code. So the right-hand toolbar is new and improved, though you might not even notice a change. Consider this Slack 1.1.

Slack Link of the Day: A friends of Hoobs from high school scored the Goal of the Week in some Puerto Rican soccer league recently. Whether you like futbol or not, this is a sick goal.

Slack Short of the Day: The jury's still out on whether this is funny or not, but it's definitely a well-done short film called Young Artie Feldman. Ever see a 15-year-old agent for workers in the food service industry? Well, now you have.

Slack Song of the Day: See below.

5 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger ethan said...

i like when artie (who is basically a grown up ari or uzi) calls the jaime a prick.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I like the loyal assistant...very Max Fischer-esque. Dirk, good kid.

In fact, this thing reeks of Rushmore plagiarization.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Which do you prefer, using the singer's actual voice (Ray) or using the actor's voice (Walk the Line)? From what I can gather, the decision was made because Jamie Foxx can't sing like Ray Charles, but Joaquin Phoenix can sing like Johnny Cash.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger ethan said...

good call on dirk.

i'm looking forward to walk the line. i think it's the first time reese has looked really hot since, maybe, ever?

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

MDS, I think it depends on the movie...I think the Phoenix/Reese thing worked out well here, but thats not to say I always think it's wise for the actors to sing. In this case, I liked it. Although, as good as he was, Cash is Cash. Tough to replicate.

And yeah, Reese is hot in this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home