Thursday, November 10, 2005

Dorsey No More

Sorry for the lack of posting, Slackers, but I'm workin' harder than a drunkard's bladder sphincter. That might be one of the best and worst improvisatory analogies I've ever generated.

So in lieu of any extraordinary witticisms or sardonic one-liners today, I'll leave you with one of my favorite comedic bits of all time. Show of hands, who here has seen transvetite British (but somehow by way of Yemen) comedian Eddie Izzard's Dress To Kill? If not, try to find it On Demand or In Demand, or even go so far as to rent it...I shit you not, it's one of the funnier 90-minute specials you'll ever see.

Eddie Izzard's part observation artist, part cultural and historical commentator. But he's all hilarious. My favorite bit, which never fails to produce from me an audible guffaw, is Izzard's take on Engelbert Humperdinck changing his name from Jerry Dorsey.

Obviously it's much better on the small screen than it appears on this online rag, but it should still hit you in the A1 Bold sections of the neck and face. Take it away, Eddie...

"His name changed from Jerry Dorsey to Englbert Humperdinck! I mean, I'd just like to be in the room when they were working that one through:

'Zinglebert Bambledack! Yingeebert Dangleban! Zanglebert Dingleback! Winglebert Humptiback! Slupbum Waller!'

'What?'

'Alright, Kringlebert Fishtibuns! Steveibuns Buttrentrunden...'

'No, Jerry Dorsey! I like...'

'No we can't... Let's see, we have Zinglebert Bambledack, Dinglebert Wangledack, Slupbum Waller, Klingibum Fistlbars, Dinglebert Zambeldack, uh... Jerry Dorsey, Englerbert Humptiback, Zinglebert Bambledack, Engelbert Humperdinck, Dinglebert Wingledank'

'No, no, go back one.'"

He then informs the audience Engelbert died earlier that day and alternates affirming this claim and denying it for the the next few minutes. I've seen it 10 times and it still makes me piss a little bit in mis pantalones cortos. Hope you enjoyed, go try and see it.

Slack Song of the Day: I haven't posted any Benevento/Russo Duo in a little while, so here's Becky and Best Reason to Buy the Sun from 10/1/05 in Eugene.

5 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger The Bourbon Samurai said...

I always like to imagine the songwriting process for Kid Rock-

"Ja wit a few a zang a bang doogy doogy"

"No..no...how about Fawit a ding a ping a ping figgy figgy?"

"Baw wit da ba a bang a bang joogy joogy?"

"Yes!"

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

My buddy and I in high school use to joke about what went on in the board meeting at Deer Park that led them to the slogan "That's Good Water."

I'll spare you the inanity, but you can see the potential for ridiculousness.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

I went on a job interview a few years ago and the woman interviewing me literally told me that her crowning achievement in life was being on the team that came up with "Drivers Wanted."

Maybe I take myself too seriously or maybe I'm a bleeding heart liberal, but the only response I could think of was, "You do know that world hunger is a big problem, right?"

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

And then you cracked her in the jaw, right Gypsy? Oh please tell me you punched her!

How's the kid?

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

No, no. I didn’t even really say that wise ass crack. But I turned down the job. I don’t need to put myself in a position bound to spur an existential crisis. I have those all the time anyway, without any triggers.

I’m sure that the people who came up with “Wasssuppp” and “No more ring around the collar,” are very proud of themselves. Who am I to judge?

I just know that I have a hard enough time pretending to care about anything. Pretending to care about “I’m gellin’ like a felon,” would be all but impossible. My hang-up. Clearly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home