Thursday, November 03, 2005

Nine Minutes of Mike & Leo

I flew to Evanston this weekend for Northwestern's disappointing 16-point loss to once-mighty Meechigan. Compounding that colossal failure that I can only liken to a back-alley abortion, I missed the one concert I most wanted to see this year.

I've been seeing a ton of live music this year, and for that, I'm actually thankful. Still, I'm really unhappy with myself for skipping Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke at Irving Plaza. In any event, I just downloaded a couple of short amateur videos from Saturday's show and my original suspicions were easily confirmed: This accomplished duo is both fantastic and fun, but the crowd is just trying to catch Phish lightning in a non-bottle.

So caveat listenor, the audience is singing along and yelling shit out. Although I will admit, while wrong on all levels, the "Tell Trey what it is" in Ya Mar probably would have made me smile, chuckle and, maybe, just maybe, guffaw.

Here they are: Ya Mar and Twist. Play it Cactus. Play it Leo.

3 Comments:

At 1:13 AM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

We discussed this tonight in the non-Internet world (a.k.a "the world"), but my take on that crowd:

The guy taking the video was singing along. And surely the folks around him were being idiots. But I never even heard the "Tell Trey" line from the balcony. All I heard was a quiet, attentive crowd. (Well, they were wooing during Twist, but, c'mon, you have to.)

So I guess it depends on where you stood. But also, I mean, shit, those were the two Phish covers. When Mike played "Vices" solo, likening going cold turkey to missing a kiss, well, shit, ther wasn't a peep to be heard.

Even "Clone," a tune Phish once covered, was so audible that my new sister was laughing at the absurdity of the lyrics--hearing the song for her first time.

Anyway, Mike rules. Long story short.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Mike does rule...short story long.

I missed the 2003 Mike show because of Game 6 of the World Series, and I missed this Mike show for the NU/Michigan game. I love the guy, but he's gotta stop scheduling NYC shows on the same nights as huge Ace sporting events.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah those videos won't download
i have twist and want ya mar....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home