Friday, December 02, 2005

Anniversary of Greatness

Once again the perforated calendar tears away to December 2nd, my absolute favorite day of the year.

On this day six years ago, Donnie, Bux and I packed up the red Blazer and kicked off the greatest month-long parade of my young life. Thus, 12/2/xx will always hold a special place in mi corazon.

Yesterday's World AIDS day was fun and all, but it doesn't hold as special a place as today. Apparently the Argentines don't agree. They displayed a giant condom for the city, draping the Obelisk.

Could you imagine the political uproar if we had done this to the Washington Monument? Oh man, I'd pay to see that. Wait, I'd pay to see a giant cock-like structure covered with a condom? Yes, the answer to that question is yes.


Slack Link of the Day: It looks like Peter Jackson's King Kong is gonna be a monster (pun horribly intended). The first review is out, and I think "jaw-droppingly brilliant" is a good thing.

Slack Song of the Day: While not definite yet, I think I might head down to the Lion's Den tonight for the late-night Addison Groove Project show. So who better to feature in this here space today than AGP...this is from 4/3/04 at Higher Ground.

Here's Carpal Tunnel, Sing Sing and Don't Worry, plus a special bonus, Making Flippy Floppy and Boogie On Reggae Woman (the last two with Trey, Fish and Jen Hartswick).

Special Bonus Song of the Day: Trey sitting in with Tea Leaf Green on Freedom at Bates College on 11/12/05. Wow. Sickness. Wow.

6 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger MDS said...

On The Daily Show last night Jon Stewart showed a clip of Bush's AIDS Day speech and made fun of the way Bush pronounced "condom." (It sounded more like "condemn".) I think this is a first, but I'm going to defend Bush here. It's kind of tiring to hear people make fun of Bush for his mispronunciations, since the real problem with 99 percent of Bush's speeches is the content, not the delivery. And I think we've come a long way when a president who owes his spot in the Oval Office to the extreme religious right in this country is actually talking about condoms. My bet is that neither his father nor any president prior to his father ever uttered the word "condom" in public. So while I'm sure this president will never order the Washington Monument covered with a giant rubber, I think he's taken a rare positive step.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Trix said...

Way to go, Argentina. However, I don't think the giant condom covered obelisk is anywhere near as cool as Halsted Street here in Chicago. Lining the streets all thru Boystown, we have these fabulous giant metal & rainbow colored statues. Of course, they look more like missiles than penises, but when you see them, and consider what part of town you're in, you definitely understand the inference!

I didn't drive down Halsted yesterday...I'm wondering if they were covered with condoms too...

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I disagree, I love when people make fun of his mispronunciation. If you can't pronounce words right, and you're the leader of the free world, you should expect to be villified for it. It's un-American to expect anything less.

But seriously, you think because he mentioned "condoms" in a speech that it's an automatic positive? Dude, this is the administration that made it popular to be an unabashed, ignorant, small-minded bigot again. I'd rather take tolerance and progressive-ism (is that a word?) over the mention of
"condoms" in one speech any day.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I live just off Halsted near boystown, and I can report that as of 8:00 this morning there were no condoms to be seen.

At least, none on the rainbow missles.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

I think what's funny about how Bush pronounces words is that he tries so hard to have a Texas twang. The thing is, he was born up north, went to high school near Boston, college in Yale. When did he pick up this twang? It's all an act, and a very poor one at that. He even went as far in his campaign in 2000 as referring to Yale as "that yankee university up north" to seem more like a "true Texan."

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Bart Starbux said...

you're a good man for commemorating, bullet. times were had. and those times were fun.

and it was a pathfinder, a red pathfinder that dragged your ass all over the midwest, you sorry ingrate.

-bux

 

Post a Comment

<< Home