Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bustle & Caption This Pic

What an incredible and insane evening of music down at the Tribeca Rock Club last night -- The Duo, Scott Metzger and Dave Dreiwitz getting the Led out in a foursome they call Bustle in Your Hedgerow.

There was no Stairway (denied!), but these guys absolutely brought the house down last night. I've been lucky to attend some raucously unbelievable shows in 2005, and this one certainly ranks up there with the greats. The Duo brings it ever time, Dubya loves Dreiwitz because he drops bombs and if watching Metzger doesn't make your jaw inch closer and closer to the floor with every move of his hand, hell, then I don't even wanna know ya. They absolutely shredded everything, but nothing outshined Immigrant Song.

Last night was about four ridiculously talented dudes having some fun and melting some faces, with the occasional dabbling in kickin' ass and takin' names. Since most of you couldn't really care about this little review, though, I'll spare you the rest of the details. But know this: If you ever see this group on a bill anywhere in your city -- or any of them in their original groups -- make it your beeswax to bring your dancin' shoes and your headbanger's mentality and get there early.

And pray to the houses of the holy that Danjaboots (Metzger and Joe Russo) plays before the show gets started. Singing cowboyish songs "about drinking, fucking and fighting," these guys are nothing short of hilarious, while each maintaining their virtuoso playing status. They opened with The Man in Me last night and closed with Go Home Hippie, but filled the middle with hysterically written and well-played tunes like It Ain't Gonna Suck Itself (an open letter to Virgin Records), Drunk By Noon and You're Gonna Burn For This, a new song.

Not a bad way to start the night...

Switching gears with no smooth segue whatsoever, here's a pretty snazzy pic of the president in some chic spandex pants I found over at Shakespeare's Sister that may be as funny as the Danjaboots set. How 'bout a caption, Slackers? What you got?


Slack Link of the Day: Reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan (only with accidents, not war), two brothers were killed in two separate car crashes five miles and 20 minutes apart. Fuck, man, what are the odds of that? Normally I'd make a cruel, jerkstore-ish joke here, but even this is beyond my ability to be an ass. If Donnie were still alive, I'm sure he'd chime in with some nastiness. As for me, my heart goes out to this family...

Slack Song of the Day: Yesterday I posted some RANA in this spot in honor of last night's show, today it's The Duo. I think these guys were the impetus behind the first-ever SSOTD back in April, and I've posted their songs a few times since, but like my dark and dirty sex life, I have no problem cramming things down your throat.

So here's The Benevento/Russo Duo with Best Reason to Buy the Sun and Becky (both played last night, though Becky was stripped down, or "naked"), as well as My Pet Goat from 5/10/05.

24 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

with approval ratings at an all-time low, the president appears to be window dressing for the gay community.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Man, T.O. really let himself go.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger ethan said...

no pictures while i'm wearing ace's pants, please.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, Ethan? Really? That's what you want to go with? Ace's pants?

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Don't listen to 'em, Ethan, I thought that was pretty funny.

"These are my Chrismiss time exercisey pants...I'm off to do some pontius pilates."

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Creepy pants all the time gets some.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger brucey mcbruce said...

What's his exit strategy for getting out of those pants?

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger ethan said...

anonymous - i'm from jamaica, boyee. i'm stickin to my story.

i will admit, though, that your caption really showed me how it's done. oh wait.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

What?

What about my pants?

Oh my god! Cheney! I said that I wanted the Dockers, not the tights!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Since I can't vote for my own "pontius pilates" joke, I'm declaring Brucey McBruce in the lead so far with the exit strategy joke.

But it's not a contest, we're all winners.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger hoobs said...

a couple more?

the terrorists appear to finally have won.

the president said yesterday to the press: "I'm now declaring baggy pants part of the axis of evil"

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I must protect this (white)house!!!!!

- Presidential sponsored Under Armour.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

Since I don't have an entry, I'll be an independent judge (I just can't think of anything!)- Brucey McBruce is definitely in the lead.

I have a follow-up question though: Is Brucey McBruce the author of Bloggy McBlogalot? Just curious...

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Well, we sneak into the torture chambers at night and it's harder to see us with the tig...

I mean skiing. We're going skiing.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

My hump, my hump, my hump,
My humps they got u,

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

And here is a picture of the president, captured upon his exit from his weekly jazzercise class.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

He's a MANIAC, MANIAC............dancing like he's never danced before

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Bruce is not that girl...Bruce is much cooler.

And I gotta say, I think Bruce fell out of the lead -- I like Matty's "We must protect this (white) house" line. New leader: Matty Mac.

Some more unfunny ones:

"Hey, at least they're not Zubaz," the president said today.

"He's the anti-Robin Hood, stealing from the poor to give to the rich...but he still wears the tights."

"Laura is a strong-willed independent woman and all, but I think it's George who wears the spandex in that family."

"The president departs for his duet concert with the Godfather of Soul, where Bush will dance while JB sings 'Hot Pants (He Got To Use What He Got To Get What He Wants)'."

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

The Evil Empire's Prince of Thieves

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

President Bush was forced to go shopping for new pants today when he realized that nearly all of his pants were made from a combination of multiple fibers in contravention of biblical law.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger brucey mcbruce said...

I demand a recount!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

By the way, here are the lyrics to Danjaboots' "You're Gonna Burn For This":

You're as dry as a desert
Now you could use a drink
'Cause it turns out we ain't
As stupid as you think

Cause all the rich girls talk,
And brother you got caught
And it's time to sleep
In the bed that you've made,
But before you go
Here's a dedicated serenade

-chorus
You're gonna burn for this
We hope that you die slow
And your punk ass ain't invited
Your bitch ass ain't allowed
Your punk ass better not be at my show

I'd keep my distance
Man if I were you
Cause I'm a deseperate man
There's no telling what I might do

And I've killed a man before,
So what the hell would be one more
No jury would find you innocent
This time,
And what you've done is beyond
Some petty crime

-chorus

You're an emotional desert
With no feelings at all
Once the word gets out
It'll be a long, lonely fall

And the whole wide world will know,
What a twisted, evil ho
This Nashville beauty pageant
Winner is,
And there's no excuse
Anyone can give

-double chorus

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger brickmyers said...

Boba Fett exits the white house after his meeting. He was discussing the rash of terrorism on Tattooine with Condi and W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home