Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Coach Bias + Three Links and a Baby

Not that anyone ever really expected otherwise, but SI.com's Stewart Mandel's latest article catalogues the clear-as-day evidence of bias in the coaches' final Top 25 ballots this season.

It's always funny to me how we take these polls as gospel (and we do), yet there's no way to ensure the voting is at all accurate and fair. Mandel points out the utter ridiculousness of these ballots, including my favorite instance that saw Ohio coach Frank Solich rank LSU fifth and Georgia 15th, even though UGA beat LSU handily in the SEC title game to earn a BCS slot.

Here's another one: "Oregon coach Mike Bellotti -- his team about to be squeezed out of the BCS by Notre Dame -- placing the Ducks fourth and the Irish ninth, while OSU's Jim Tressel, his own team battling Bellotti's for the Fiesta, had the Buckeyes fourth and Oregon ninth."

This ain't Watergate, but it ain't pretty. Things must change.

Early Onions
Sports fans, I give you the best news you'll receive all year...check out this headline: "CBS to offer March Madness online for free." Raftery for all! The kiiiisssss! Send it in, Jerome!

Bad Santa
This article needs no introduction, only an excerpted quotation:

"How would you explain that to them that Santa Claus is walking around pulling down his pants?" a mall shopper said. "How would you explain that to them? Yeah, that's disturbing."

Bebe's Kids
It's holiday season, and if you're looking for a gift to cheer up your baby, check out the goods at Baby Bush Toys. And speaking of babies, check out this little guy:

Very tactful. Kids can be so cute.

7 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

I'm skeptical about the online March Madness, but if they really plan on streaming all the daytime games . . . well I'm either drugging my boss or getting fired by the Sweet 16.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Yeah, I'm already trying to think of how I can watch basketball all day on my computer. Will it be that obvious? Or will I be able to make it look like I'm working?

Regarding the Santa Claus thing, I've long believed that it's fairly ridiculous the lengths parents will go to to make their kids believe that there's some weird old man who somehow manages to visit every home in the world on Christmas night. I suppose I must have believed in Santa Claus at some point, but I don't remember it. I distinctly remember getting into an argument with a friend in second grade and telling him he was a moron for still believing in Santa Claus, pointing out all the obvious flaws in his belief, then turning to my teacher for support, only to have her say, "Well, Santa always visits my house." Fucking cunt.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger brucey mcbruce said...

At some point you have to learn the hard truth that Santa just ain't real. At least, in this case, it makes for a good story.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Trix said...

Check out tshirthell.com. There's plenty of nasty baby shirts there.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

First DDP sues Jay-Z:

http://www.impactwrestling.com/Content.aspx?ID=4687

and now Santa isn't real.

I don't know what to believe in anymore.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Last year a report came out that said:

"It estimates that the hoopla will cost as much as $889.6 million in lost productivity for U.S. businesses this year if the approximately 14.3 million workers who consider themselves big college basketball fans spend as little as 13 minutes monitoring the Internet for game updates and live video, pondering tournament picks, and engaging in round ball trash talk during the 16 business days of championship play that ends April 4."

$889 BILLION in lost productivity -- how high do you think that figure will go with this new wrinkle? Holy balls.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger jp said...

Don't get me started on the whole BCS bullshit. I'm going to the Holiday Bowl...but I would have much rather have made reservations to go to Tempe. It's total nonsense.

How the hell does Florida State get a BCS bid with 4 losses? Ridiculous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home