Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Dead Phish

AND THEN THERE WERE THREE:

"[Former Grateful Dead] Drummer Bill Kreutzmann will be performing with Mike Gordon and Trey Anastasio at Warren Haynes' 17th Annual Christmas Jam in Asheville, NC one week from Friday. Tickets are sold out for the event, which benefits Habitat for Humanity."

For just one day a year, I wish I lived in Asheville. What an incredibly cool trio this could be, which begs the question: Instead of 70 Volt Parade, why doesn't Trey just go rogue and form cool partnerships for a few months at a time, kind of like a musical mercenary?

These three can play a handful of shows, then he can move on to his foursome with Flea, Medeski and Fish, then a group with Bruce Hornsby and some friends...get me Trey's agent on the horn.

Special Slack Song of the Afternoon: 8/9/98, a palindromic day in Virginia Beach, the three-year anniversary marking Jerry's death -- Phish breaks out a Dead tune, something they always shied away from, and it's not just any tune, it's Terrapin Station. And it's perfect, except for Trey saying "seller" instead of "teller." I always loved that slip-up, the near-perfect Terrapin.

5 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

That wasn't a slip up. That was a purposeful ode to Jerry Garcia, who often botched lyrics himself.

So, really, what kind of homage to the Grateful Dead would that have been if all the lyrics were nailed? Seriously.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

yeah, Asheville is going to be fun.

I'm going to get some video at the rehearsals in New York and the show.

Be nice to shoot some stuff again.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Wow, I've written more than 800 or so blog posts on Slack and this is easily the first one in which the son of the subject has written in with a comment. Cool stuff.

Justin, are you gonna be posting any of that video on your site? I'd LOVE to see some of that. I'm pretty damn excited about this trio.

Russ, I hear ya...have fun in Roma, bud.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This still gives me the chills.

Fluffdead

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous en regalia said...

from the vault of erstwhile semantic sensibilities, I am going to (possibly) coin a new word which I think better describes your effort. Lettuce call 8/9/98 Palinumeric instead of palindromic, what'dya think?

An what were the teleprompters for to begin with, ne? Honoring the sheer volume of lyrics to be mastered and being pro-spectator at the same time...I am all about pro-artist, pro-spectator....maybe I should be a pro-motor...well, NOT, but I'll take on a consultancy role...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home