Thursday, December 29, 2005

Do You Kiss Your Mother With That Mouth?

Every three or four years I let my mother come in to the city and take me shopping for dress clothes, suits, what have you. She loves it, just eats it up. I hate this process more than just about anything. Even the dentist is a much bigger thrill-ride for me.

The last time we did danced this dance was three and a half years ago on my 23rd birthday, which was also the day St. Louis Cardinals hurler Darryl Kile perished in that tragic sleeping accident. But after a long shopping hiatus, my mater and I hit the stores, and today happened to be easier than a drunk freshman fatty with self-esteem issues.

But after purchasing two suits, three shirts, two ties, an additional pair of cool pants and many a pair of socks, I finally gave my mother the Ace Face, that look of "I think my work is done here."

That's when she responded, "So do you have any interest whatsoever in going to Bloomingdale's or have you already shot your wad?"

That's always the kind of talk you expect to hear from your loved ones. And to the gentleman tailor at Sym's, I'll see you again in 2008.

4 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Alex Fritz said...

Ah, DK...a month after he passed I took a little three day vacay and flew out to Chicago so I could have a drink in the bar where DK had his last cocktail. Little bit of closure, ya know?

No, I'm not making that up.

Yes, I need a life. I have needed one for quite some time.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Wow, that's dedication. The kid in our fantasy who had DK in our league started him for the rest of the season anyway. Not in tribute, but out of idiocy.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

This reminds me of when my dad calls jeans "dungarees". What is this? 1974? Parent's just say the darndest things...although your mom might take the cake.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger The Bourbon Samurai said...

I had the same trip with my mom this week...no dirty talk, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home