Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Get Off My Train

I think about this guy here to the right all the time. I'd say every sixth or seventh time I stand on the NYC subway tracks, I picture this dude yelling at dead ol' Patrick Swayze to get off his train, forcefully. It haunts me. In my dreams.

I even thought about him this morning, on the way to the dentist. Then I came home, caught up on the day's news and events and read that he died. So sad, the world mourns one of its greatest character actors today. Better Off Dead, Fast Times, Ghost, Cuckoo's Nest, Larry Flynt, he did it all.

That Guy, we will miss you. We're forever in your debt.

Now, a word about lists...
Like half-hearted promises to quit smoking, be nicer and ease up on bumping lines off the asses of hookers, it happens like clockwork every Last Week in December: the emergence of lists.

With the advent and proliferation of blogs, these Best Of [Year] lists aren't just for mainstream critics any more. So were not only seeing blather and dreck from the likes of Entertainment Weekly, Us and Rolling Stone, now everyone with a free .blogspot bully pulpit tries to create the snarkiest and most sardonically irreverent Top 10s and Year in Reviews.

Some of these trite attempts at sarcastic douchebaggery actually scratch me right where I itch (the crotch, always the crotch), but most try way too hard to be hip and are so tragically non-comical you'd think Stuart Scott wrote 'em. I admire people that give comedy ye ol' college try, but when the same recycled Tom Cruise and Terrell Owens jokes are the best you can do, it's best to send it around in an e-mail to close friends rather than post it on the Internets.

Brother Red Cowboy sent along a post from this kid's blog today, and his "Ten People Who We Saw Far Too Much of in 2005" ain't too bad at all. I agree with almost everything written here, but anyone who indirectly slaps the highest praise on Northwestern's journalism school is certainly gettin' some special lovin' on this here rag (though I most definitely disagree with #5 on his list).

So go on over and read this before it gets cold...

5 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

I totally would have expected to see Tom "Medicine, need not apply" Cruise somewhere up in that list. At least I know he'd take the top 8 spots on my non-existant list.

Gwen is cool though, but she should take about 7 years off.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

I will always remember him from Kidco. He played a great villain, working for the IRS I think, trying to extort money from those little kids.

Guess I'm dating myself with that movie, but it was one of my favorites growing up.

The weird thing is, I thought he was 57 when the movie came out (1984). He died at age 57.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Strange, Russ, I had along conversation with a nice dude named Roger (more than likely a homelessman with really nice shoes) in front of my building last night. He made the same remark, that he looked 57 in the 80s.

Roger also prophecized the end of the world by 2018, so get ready. Good guy though.

Kidco ROCKED! Hoobs can verify, I made people watch that movie a few times in college. Brilliant!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Between That Guy and the death of the Time to Make the Doughnuts guy, it's been a tough few days.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

All things come in three's. Who do ya think is next?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home