Thursday, December 01, 2005

Like Minds

The Internets are a great to place to go for vaildation.

Sometimes it's just comforting to know there are other people out there that think like you do about certain situations, events and happenings. And there's no better spot than the world wide web to look for those like-minded folks.

My favorite example of this came several years ago when Kazaa was all the rage, the bees' knees. I was in between jobs and mostly waking up late, loafing on the couch watching tele-sorcerer John Edward contact loved ones who've crossed over, downloading songs and putting them on CD to fill my 60-disc changer with random tunes.

One day Lean On Me hit HBO, and when Samms and the rest of the riff raff in the bathroom broke out into the new and improved school song, I jumped over to the computer and sought to download the awesome tune. Within five minutes of downloading it, I noticed several people had now started to take it from me for their own use.

I went back to the couch, and the next time I came back to the screen at least 50-75 people had downloaded it from my shared folder. Apparently I wasn't the only person sitting at home watching a movie on a weekday afternoon. Not only that, apparently I wasn't the only one who enjoys the song enough to download it for personal use.

I've always found shit like that to be pretty cool. It's not quite at the level of a collective consciousness, but it's not terribly far from that point. To me, it's vindicating, it's validating, it's a sign that other people dig what you dig.

So last night number-one Duke played sixteenth-ranked Indiana on national television, treating the country to an extended peek at Duke's Sheldon Williams mega-forehead. I've often made the joke that Sheldon looks exactly like Ken Griffey Jr. after suffering acute gigantism from drinking Mr. Burns' brain and nerve tonic in the "Homer at the Bat" episode of The Simpsons.

And when Duke played on national TV last night, I found several people making there way to Slack searching for Sheldon Williams nerve tonic (a post on this here rag is actually the highest-ranked site on Google). As I said, it's very comforting to know folks out there share a similar sense of humor and allusion about things.

The same thing goes for the "LSU kiss," a search which brought somebody over here last night. Surprisingly, though, I'm apparently the only person in the blogosphere who wrote anything about the hysterical Saturday moment when two manly LSU dudes basically made out in the stands after the team beat Alabama.

It's just a fun feeling to float on the same wavelength as people you've never met. There's something very soothing and energizing about sharing a genuine smile with a stranger, even if it's electronic and you never actually see each other.

Slack Reversal of the Day: Yesterday I mentioned the fight between the Grateful Dead and its fans over the downloading of live concerts. Well, the band either caved, compromised or continued to dick the fans, depending on how you look at it. But the audience recordings are coming back online, and this is exactly why I shunned everyone's advice to "write a wicked blog post, brah" and stayed above the fray. You just knew this thing would be reversed...

Slack Links of the Day: Here are two clear Darwin Award nominees -- Bulletproof Man, please meet Spitsy the Gravity Guy

Slack Song of the Day: I often hold back on posting songs by the popular rock band Phish in this space, so today I'll compromise and post some Phish covers. So here are a few tunes from one of the few shows I mistakenly missed that I definitely should have attended -- 8/12/98 at Vernon Downs.

Like much of the Summer 1998 tour, the show was chock full o' covers, all played ridiculously well. Check out La Grange, Funky Bitch, Ramble On, Loving Cup and Burning Down the House (Vernon Downs the House). This show absolutely rawks.

10 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger MDS said...

I have mixed feelings about that Lean on Me school song. It's kinda cool, but it's also kinda ridiculous to think that a bunch of hoodlums are going to be transformed into the Vienna Boys Choir just because one teacher showed that all they really needed was some tough love and a new version of the school song.

But I'm a big Joe Clark fan. In the year I taught at Compton High School, not a day went by that I didn't wish we could replace our principal with Joe Clark.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger ethan said...

mds, for that quasi-dig of mrs. powers' genius, all i can say is:

i will kick your black ass!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Trix said...

Good morning, sunshine. I just wanted to share an electronic smile with you!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger ethan said...

ace (whispering) - i think she's talking to you.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

Not quite as cool, but I was stoked to learn (via The Letter D) that you (Ace) are also a fan of the ill-fated TV series "Undeclared". I just finished reliving all 18 episodes thanks to the magic of DVD.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Hey peeps, sorry, been out all day...everyone doin okay?

MDS, Ethan got my back, but he's right -- you say one more discouraging word about Mrs. Powers and you'll suffer the same fate as Kid Ray in the cafeteria.

DHodge, I'm obviously with you on Undelcared...where did you get all the episodes, Netflix or did you buy it? I'd LOVE to watch that show again. Plus, the kid who plays Steven Karp is a very funny actor, especially as the obsessed fan in Almost Famous.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger The Ambiguously Gay Uno said...

In that spit story... Most. Obvious. Statement. Ever.

"Drobek had been consuming alcohol prior to the fall, Ollech said."

Oh really?

And Trixy is making me blush...

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I Netflix'd it. The Karper (Jay Baruchel) is in a new series with Don Johnson (Just Legal). I haven't watched it or even seen a commercial for it, so I have no idea if it's any good or still on the air for that matter.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really care for the song either, but, I know what you're saying about "collective consciousness". I've seen some hottie on the Today show and go Google him. The next thing you know you're in some Gallery of his sexiest pics. I've been in ones that show 150 users viewing it.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger burningoak.com said...

Good ol nugs.net. nice choices. I'm looking forward to hearing the Lovin' Cup from right after he snapped. Dumbass "fans."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home