Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Links o' Snausage

Much like Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard, I've got nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothiiiing. Staying out past 1, waking up much later than usual and sitting in my pajamas on the couch (again!) pretending to work from home is a dangerous combination for blog creativity.

So while I sit here and think about leaving to get a friendly bagel, and while I mull over the option of adding eggs and bacon to the mix, check out these freshly squeezed links:

1. This story is the exact reason why you should always beat your kids: "Homeowners are angry after Titusville police said three children, one just ten years old, went on a crime spree that targeted at least four homes and a country club. Two on the kids were caught when one of their mothers turned them in." Always.

2. Canada, very cool pace. I dig, oh, I dig.

3. This scene, despite the cancer and the potential death, would be pretty funny if it weren't so damn awful:

Cancer patient: "Duuude, I've got the greatest doctor in the world, braahhh. The guy gave me a scrip for this killer weed, maann."

Friend: "Um, that says 'weed killer,' not 'killer weed.' You're gonna die. And not from the cancer, broseph."

I hope this doctor and his little assitant get the Kobe treatment every day of a long sentence in a federal, pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

4. Speaking of, Kobe scored 62 points last night...in three quarters no less. I've never been a big Kobe fan, but you have to give the guy his due after that stellar performance. He just bent those guys over and had his way with 'em all night long, dropping a huge load on the Mavs and leaving mucho contented.

5. Finally, Johnny Damon signed with our beloved Yank'ums whilst I was out spinning with the hippies last night. Coincidence? Anyway, I was totally opposed to signing Damon, but now that we have him locked up, I think it's a great move. Not only do we add a leadoff hitter that gets on base and frees Jeter up to move down in the order, but we made our biggest rival worse.

Right now, at this moment, and it likely will change, but I tip my hat to Brian Cashman. He didn't panic, he didn't go crazy, he carefeully picked the guys he wanted and went after them subtly and under the radar. We needed middle relief and a center fielder and that's exactly what he brought us. I love the moves. We'll try to hold off on excessive Yankees talk until after the new year.

Slack Song of the Day: One of my musical guilty pleasures is that David Gray character, who had a big hit with the song Babylon. I don't know anything about the guy, nor can I name a single song of his not named Babylon. I do like that song though, for some reason. And because I've bene posting way too much jammy stuff lately, here's a sweet version of that tune from 12/17/2000 in England...

7 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I'm surprised you can't name "please forgive me" too.

http://audio58.archive.org/2/audio/dgray2002-11-15/dgray2002-11-15d2/dgray2002-11-15d2t14_64kb.mp3

Oh Canada, Our home and native land,
True Patriot Love, in all thy sex clubs command.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger ethan said...

i interviewed to teach math at titusville high in 01. glad i didn't wind up there, what with 4th graders working on a little b&e.

re: the jd signing - i have some definite issues with it, but i can deal.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger brickmyers said...

side note: Kobe had 0 (zero) assists in that game. I find that funny.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger ethan said...

the zero assists must be related to the lack of p.t. in the 4th quarter.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I haven't studied basketball stats to the extent I've studied baseball and football stats, but I don't really see anything impressive about Kobe Bryant. Shouldn't the person who leads the league in field goal attempts score a lot of points? I remember seeing a stat when Shaq and Kobe were teammates that said something like the Lakers won 75% of games with both Shaq and Kobe, 50% of the games Shaq missed, and 80% of the games Kobe missed. There are sample size issues because Shaq missed so many more games than Kobe, but think about that: Everyone thinks Kobe is one of the best players in the league, but his team had a better record without him. Doesn't that indicate that he scores a lot of points because he takes too many shots?

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger ahren said...

"offensive efficiency" is a good stat that measures for that stuff now, i believe-- it's the kinda thing antoin walker finishes last in the league in.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

damon's a bust. he's over the hill and he'll break his knees in spring training. once again the yanks are fleshing out the careers of has-beens with crazy cash. spend away, georgie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home