Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Saving the Bluths & Three Music Items

I'm not sure how many times I can mention here how much I love and enjoy Arrested Development, how much I want to caress its bosom of brilliance and nurse from its remarkably witty teet.

I'm pretty sure it's my favorite television comedy of all time, like some of you. It's more cleverly conceived than both Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's a better social commentator than either The Simpsons or Family Guy, and it features the best large ensemble cast since NewsRadio and Cheers.

And when I hear stories that one of the smartest and funniest shows of my lifetime will be cancelled after an abbreviated third season, it just makes me lose a little more faith in mankind. What the fuck is wrong with everyone out there in TV-Land?

Who Wants to Deflower My Drooling Wheelchair-Bound Niece and one of the seven Meet Your New Mommy shows outdraw Arrested by five-to-one every time out...explain that shit to me. Explain to me how we can be so into mindless escapism that 22 minutes of super-witty television is considered "too smart" and airs virtually unwatched.

But, as had been rumored for a while, hope springs eternal. A little-known outfit called ABC and another called Showtime may soon be fighting for the rights to the show:

"INTO THE BLUTHS: Both ABC and Showtime are in talks with 20th Century Fox to rescue Arrested Development from the cold, clammy, hooked hand of the grim reaper. According to Variety, formal negotiations have not yet taken place, but sources still label the networks' interest as 'serious,' with Showtime being the more fervently interested of the two."

Here are two more articles citing the same information -- Inside Move: Nets keen to get 'Arrested' and Showtime may rescue 'Arrested Development'. Huzzah!

"You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, okay, because neither one of us wants to get divorced. And second-of-ly, I know you’re the big marriage expert. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead. I’m sorry. That was 100% inappropriate, and I do apologize profusely. I’m... Oh..."

Moozak
--I recently stumbled upon two music websites that may change the face of procrastination as we know it.

The first is called Pandora, created by the Music Genome Project, and it basically creates a virtual radio station based around your inputted preferences. You can tell Pandora what songs you like, what songs you don't, who your favorite artists are, and like a musical Jewish mother, it'll try to introduce you to as many new bands and tunes as possible. Try it out, Ace Radio is rockin' today.

The second is Music-Map, which allows you to input an artist and find out to which other bands people who like that band also listen. It sounds more confusing than it really is, so just go on over there and see what the hell I'm talking about.

--Mark your calendars, folks: The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, aka Jazzfest, is coming back to life in 2006. April 28 - May 7, bring your galoshes and your MDMA and head on back to the Delta. I'm guessing the lineup is going to be the sickest one of all time.

--On a related note, if you're not doing anything tonight, head on down to the Lion's Den in the Village for a NOLA musicians benefit hosted by Russell Batiste Jr. The lineup includes his pops, David Russell Batiste Sr., Adam Deitch of Lettuce, Dave Dreiwitz of Ween, Gordon Jones of the DJ Williams Projekt, Chris Jacobs of The Bridge, a special appearance by the chairman of the boards Page McConnell and other unnanounced speical guests.

I'm told it's gonna be "off the hizzy, yo." I'm stoked, brahh.

15 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger ethan said...

re: monday's episode. did anyone else find it hilarious when tobias was grabbing for george michael's arm with GM just moaning in fear?

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

I already e-mailed Showtime to tell them that if they pick up AD, that I will become a subscriber.

I suggest everyone do the same if they want to show SHO that the fans mean business.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

Here's a fun music map game - think of an artist who is known well enough to be on the map but obscure enough that all or most of the artists that appear in his or her map don't really fit into his or her musical genre. For a good example, check out Franz Liszt. His map is comprised almost entirely of classic rock bands (doesn't even include any other composers).

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ethan, that may have been my favorite part of the show...George Michael needs to win an Emmy, the kid is comic gold.

DHodge, that could be a fun game, but what the eff made you think of Franz Liszt? I just typed in Dennis Franz and no other actors with short-sleeve button down shirts came up at all. Weird.

Showtime, gettin' an email!

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I enjoy the show, IT IS NOT BETTER OR FUNNIER THAN THE SIMPSONS or Seinfeld for that matter. Period. People like you latch onto a show like this and blow it way out of porportion. You should re-think what you are comparing it to. Have a great day!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

This is turning out to be a very good day.

I almost want to cry. But I can't spare any moisture.

Maybe dhodge got his name off of the Franz list.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, I love the Simpsy's, but the last few seasons have been a little lean. I mean, they've pretty much gone into a funk. AD is one of the best things to happen to my eyes in years. The "Analrapist" business cards almost made me shit myself.
I will also subscribe to SHO if they move there.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I was blasting some Liszt on my hi-fi while I was perusing the site, naturally.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger ethan said...

oooo ace - got the dreaded "people like you" comment. no gouda.

you people make my ass twitch.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Phiul said...

It *is* funnier than the Simpsons and Seinfeld. And I'm a huge fan of both those shows. I never thought I'd like a show more than Seinfeld, but AD is taking over the top spot.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Of course The Simpsons have gotten lean in recent years. Michael Jordan wasn't as good with the Wizards as he was with the Bulls, either. But the body of work The Simpsons has put together is truly remarkable. On a per-episode basis there are a number of shows I'd say are funnier than The Simpsons, but what sets The Simpsons apart is the sheer volume of episodes it has put out, with no end in sight.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

"Arrested Development" back to back with "Weeds" on Showtime would be a dream come true. Literally, I had this dream, and Robin Williams was there and we were all naked. And thee two shows were on back to back. It was amazing.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

"While I enjoy the show, IT IS NOT BETTER OR FUNNIER THAN THE SIMPSONS or Seinfeld for that matter. Period."

Hey, how come you didn't type out Seinfeld in capital letters, too?

You know what, I understand the body of work argument for these shows, and in a way I definitely agree. Like Tits McG said, I never thought I would like a show more than Seinfeld. And there was a time when I thought The Simpsons could do no wrong.

But like Hulk Hogan, as legendary and amazing as it may have been, Seinfeld was very one-dimensional and does not necessarily stand up to the test of time when you go back and watch. And like Ric Flair, The Simpsons had their unbelievable moments and broke the mold of the traditional cartoon, but the show stayed around for sooo long that its giant saggy oldmanboobs began to show.

AD is like The Rock, who came in and brought instant electricity. It's fresh, it's clever, it's always guaranteed to entertain. It's a bresh of fresh air, some well-scripted reality in a cesspool of non-creative hacks. All hacks exit the stage. The only difference is that people actually watched The Rock wrestle.

Maybe it's because it's only been around for a short while, but this show is just such an instant classic I find it hard not to think I like anything better. It's all part of our instant history culture, I admit, but that's the way I sees it.

And Bel-Intel, that lineup would absolutely be must-see teevee. My favorite show and my favorite female celebrity on back-to-back? C'mon, that would be too good to be true.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

were you at the show last night? i went there basically right after my final...stood right in front of page. people were taking crazy amounts of pictures of page, going right in his face with their cameras and flashes, had to be a little annoying. but anyway, it was a great time at the lions den, with some awesome funky music.

as for AD, i just bought the season 1 and 2 dvds. i justified it by viewing it as a donation to the "save the arrested development fund." i hope it helps.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger MDS said...

Here's the ultimate test of a TV show: You're on a desert island and you can take with you a TV, a DVD player, and the complete series of any show you choose. In that scenario, I think I'd have to go with Seinfeld. Great laughs on a per-episode basis plus a long run. The Simpsons has the longer run but not as many per-episode laughs, while other shows mentioned here just don't have enough episodes for you to enjoy on your hypothetically lengthy stay on this hypothetical island.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home